What to do with a PhD in material science?

In summary, Eric thinks that if you have a PhD in literature, it doesn't mean you can write good novels, you will need to have a lot of warm bodies to watch your code, and you are unlikely to be poor and unemployed.
aihaike
Dear all,

I got a PhD in computational material science (classical Monte Carlo and molecular dynamics).
I'm doing a postdoc but I wonder if I will keep going that way for my next position.
I've no idea about what to do afterward if I decide to do something else.
I do not know if there are really opportunities for someone with my profile.
I have some computer and programming skills but people from computer science do a better job I figure.

Does someone have any experience with a somehow "reconversion" from my field?

Thanks in advance,

Eric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't multiscale problems in materials a hot area? Can't you find a position in a national lab or private sector doing materials research?

Thanks,

I did not know those links ...
I'll have a look.

comp_math said:
Isn't multiscale problems in materials a hot area? Can't you find a position in a national lab or private sector doing materials research?
well the hot area the domain of biology ...
I'm actually thinking about going to that way.

Is there really "private sector doing materials research" ?
Thank you for your reply.

aihaike said:
I got a PhD in computational material science (classical Monte Carlo and molecular dynamics).

If you develop some minimal c++ skills, there are a lot of programming jobs in private industry. Wall Street, oil and gas industry, logistics.

I do not know if there are really opportunities for someone with my profile.

Tons of them. Start with www.dice.com[/url] and [url]www.efinancialcareers.com[/URL]

[QUOTE]I have some computer and programming skills but people from computer science do a better job I figure.[/QUOTE]

No.

1) Just because you are a literature Ph.D. or even a brilliant literature Ph.D. doesn't mean that you can write decent novels. There are lots of CS people that really can't program. There are lots of people that can, but the two skills are correlated less than one would think.

2) algorthimic code requires some special skills

3) Even with the above, you need lots of warm bodies. If you have 10 million lines of code to babysit that means thousands of programming jobs. If you have this massive giant spawling system, then one genius is not going to be able to deal with this no matter brilliant they are. You want a thousand geniuses. Now since you probably can't get or couldn't afford a thousand geniuses, you probably will have to settle for five or six geniuses and a thousand reasonably intelligent people. Which is where you come in...

twofish-quant said:
If you develop some minimal c++ skills, there are a lot of programming jobs in private industry. Wall Street, oil and gas industry, logistics.

Tons of them. Start with www.dice.com[/url] and [url]www.efinancialcareers.com[/URL]

No.

1) Just because you are a literature Ph.D. or even a brilliant literature Ph.D. doesn't mean that you can write decent novels. There are lots of CS people that really can't program. There are lots of people that can, but the two skills are correlated less than one would think.

2) algorthimic code requires some special skills

3) Even with the above, you need lots of warm bodies. If you have 10 million lines of code to babysit that means thousands of programming jobs. If you have this massive giant spawling system, then one genius is not going to be able to deal with this no matter brilliant they are. You want a thousand geniuses. Now since you probably can't get or couldn't afford a thousand geniuses, you probably will have to settle for five or six geniuses and a thousand reasonably intelligent people. Which is where you come in...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your answer,

I really did not see it like that.
That's an interesting point of view.
Does that mean the world is mine?
I'm happy to see that this topic attracts more people that I thought.

aihaike said:
That's an interesting point of view.
Does that mean the world is mine?

Not really. It does mean that you are unlikely to be poor and unemployed.

twofish-quant said:
Not really. It does mean that you are unlikely to be poor and unemployed.
year, I was just kidding.
It's very helpful.
Thanks

1. What career options are available with a PhD in material science?

With a PhD in material science, you can pursue a career in research and development, product design, quality control, materials engineering, or academia. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, or healthcare.

2. How long does it take to earn a PhD in material science?

The typical length of a PhD program in material science is 4-5 years, although this can vary depending on the individual's research progress and the requirements of the program. Some programs may also offer part-time or accelerated options.

3. What skills are necessary for success in a material science PhD program?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a passion for problem-solving are essential for success in a material science PhD program. Additionally, excellent communication and time management skills are important for effectively conducting research and presenting findings.

4. Is there funding available for a PhD in material science?

Many PhD programs in material science offer funding opportunities, such as research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and fellowships. These can provide financial support for tuition and living expenses, as well as valuable research and teaching experience.

5. What is the potential salary for someone with a PhD in material science?

The salary for individuals with a PhD in material science can vary depending on their specific job title, industry, and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for materials scientists in 2019 was $96,810. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 to over $150,000 depending on the factors mentioned above.