Study After Schwarzschild Spacetime: What's Next?

In summary: Yes, but if you keep working other problems related to the same physics, you'll soon find that what you thought you understood, you don't, because you'll get stuck.The disadvantage of being told the answer, when you weren't able to find it yourself, is that being told does not help your understanding; you'll still be just as stuck on the next problem. That's one reason why we don't give answers in our homework forum (the other is that we don't want to become the Internet's lookup table for homework answers); we only give hints.
kent davidge
For someone who have just finished the study of the (fundamentals) of Schwarzschild spacetime, what would be the next natural topic to study?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends... what is your goal here?

Likes martinbn
Nugatory said:
Depends... what is your goal here?
To be able to tell friends that I know all of the fundamentals of General Relativity :)

Likes PhDeezNutz
Study Hartle’s textbook. I actually don’t have it, but many sources say it is by far the most accessible text, suitable for second or third year undergrads, focusing on the physics first.

Likes PhDeezNutz and kent davidge
If you're interested in understanding particular solutions of interest, the obvious next ones after Schwarzschild would be Kerr spacetime and FRW spacetime.

Likes martinbn, PhDeezNutz and kent davidge
PeterDonis said:
Kerr spacetime and FRW spacetime
In this order?

kent davidge said:
To be able to tell friends that I know all of the fundamentals of General Relativity :)
PAllen said:
Study Hartle’s textbook.

Yes, systematically study a textbook like Hartle or Moore, and work half the problems.

Likes kent davidge
George Jones said:
Yes, systematically study a textbook like Hartle or Moore, and work half the problems.
Seconding this, I’ll add @ZapperZ ’s recommendation to keep a notebook of your problem solution efforts. I still have mine from Bergmann’s 1942 textbook, which was the first GR text I studied.

Likes kent davidge
PAllen said:
I’ll add @ZapperZ ’s recommendation to keep a notebook of your problem solution efforts
The problem is that most textbooks don't give the solutions. So we have no way of checking our attempts.

I once emailed a famous author asking him why they don't give the answers so that we can verify if our solutions are correct, and surprisingly he answered my email. He told me that they want students to learn by attempting to solve the problems, and if they would publish the answers, people tend to read them before they have tried really hard.

Likes vanhees71
kent davidge said:
In this order?

I don't know that it matters that much, but Kerr spacetime is more closely related to Schwarzschild than FRW is, so probably yes.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
The problem is that most textbooks don't give the solutions. So we have no way of checking our attempts.

Another answer your famous author might have given (which one professor of mine once gave me) is that once you really understand the material, you won't have to ask if your solution is correct or not; you'll know.

Likes PhDeezNutz and kent davidge
kent davidge said:

I once emailed a famous author asking him why they don't give the answers so that we can verify if our solutions are correct, and surprisingly he answered my email. He told me that they want students to learn by attempting to solve the problems, and if they would publish the answers, people tend to read them before they have tried really hard.
In the past that was a real issue. However, now you could post your solutions efforts you have any doubts about here, and people would help you confirm or correct them.

Likes vanhees71 and kent davidge
kent davidge said:
You can do that anyway.

Likes kent davidge
PeterDonis said:
once you really understand the material, you won't have to ask if your solution is correct or not;

And what does "really understand" mean? o0) The problem is that sometimes you think you understand, when actually you don't and there is no one there to tell you that. I guess it depends on how hard the exercises are. I have some old russian books on electrodynamics with exercises that some of my faculty proffessors had problems with.

Likes Motore
weirdoguy said:
The problem is that sometimes you think you understand, when actually you don't and there is no one there to tell you that.

Yes, but if you keep working other problems related to the same physics, you'll soon find that what you thought you understood, you don't, because you'll get stuck.

The disadvantage of being told the answer, when you weren't able to find it yourself, is that being told does not help your understanding; you'll still be just as stuck on the next problem. That's one reason why we don't give answers in our homework forum (the other is that we don't want to become the Internet's lookup table for homework answers); we only give hints.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the significance of studying Schwarzschild spacetime?

Schwarzschild spacetime is a mathematical model that describes the effects of gravity on space and time. It is important for understanding the behavior of massive objects, such as stars and planets, and has been used in various fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

2. What are some potential future research directions for studying Schwarzschild spacetime?

Some potential areas of research include investigating the behavior of black holes and other extreme objects in Schwarzschild spacetime, exploring the implications of this model for the evolution of the universe, and studying the effects of strong gravitational fields on particles and light.

3. How does studying Schwarzschild spacetime contribute to our understanding of general relativity?

General relativity is the theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein, and Schwarzschild spacetime is one of the solutions to the equations of this theory. By studying this model, scientists can gain a better understanding of how gravity works and how it affects the structure of the universe.

4. What are some challenges in studying Schwarzschild spacetime?

One challenge is that it is a highly mathematical model, which can be difficult to understand and work with. Additionally, it is a theoretical construct and has not been directly observed, so there may be limitations to how accurately it reflects reality.

5. How does studying Schwarzschild spacetime relate to other areas of physics?

Studying Schwarzschild spacetime is closely related to other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics. It can also inform our understanding of phenomena such as gravitational waves, which have been observed by scientists in recent years.