What tutorial for Resonance structures?

In summary, organic resonance structures are different from inorganic resonance structures. The former use organic molecules, while the latter use inorganic molecules. There are some basic similarities between the two, though.
nineteen
Hello everybody,

I am stuck with drawing resonance structures for different types of compounds. Do you know any tutorials or any methods to master drawing resonance structures? If yes, please be kind enough to drop some links and statements below. Thank you very much in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
nineteen said:
Are organic resonance and the resonance structures we talk about generally, the same?
What differs between resonance in organic and inorganic chemistry is that in the former, you will use organic compounds, and in the latter, you will use inorganic compounds, and some more elements besides C, H and O. Basics will be the same, because properties of elements like electronegativity (important in resonance) don't vary from organic to inorganic.

Go through the lectures I have linked (you may leave out the last unit - Organic Acid-Base, but the middle one is very important). You will surely get some idea.

Likes nineteen
Wrichik Basu said:
What differs between resonance in organic and inorganic chemistry is that in the former, you will use organic compounds, and in the latter, you will use inorganic compounds, and some more elements besides C, H and O. Basics will be the same, because properties of elements like electronegativity (important in resonance) don't vary from organic to inorganic.

Go through the lectures I have linked (you may leave out the last unit - Organic Acid-Base, but the middle one is very important). You will surely get some idea.

Thank you very much I appreciate it a lot @Wrichik Basu

Likes Wrichik Basu
One of the best instructional texts I've seen is (I'm sure there are many more, but ...) Danial P Weeks, 'Pushing Electrons' ... It is a relatively inexpensive workbook of sorts written for the student of Organic Chemistry with easy to follow explanations (in my humble opinion) with plenty of examples and problems to develop skill in the subject. Also, contains other valuable subjects on the application of resonance structures. Search internet for Weeks, Pushing Electrons. I'm sure you'll get many online sources.
If you do decide to get the text, be sure to get a NEW one as it has perforated, removable pages... a used volume may have pages missing. Good luck.

Likes nineteen and Greg Bernhardt
James Pelezo said:
One of the best instructional texts I've seen is (I'm sure there are many more, but ...) Danial P Weeks, 'Pushing Electrons' ... It is a relatively inexpensive workbook of sorts written for the student of Organic Chemistry with easy to follow explanations (in my humble opinion) with plenty of examples and problems to develop skill in the subject. Also, contains other valuable subjects on the application of resonance structures. Search internet for Weeks, Pushing Electrons. I'm sure you'll get many online sources.
If you do decide to get the text, be sure to get a NEW one as it has perforated, removable pages... a used volume may have pages missing. Good luck.

Thank you very much friend. I really appreciate it a lot.

You are most welcome. :-)

1. What are resonance structures?

Resonance structures are different ways of representing a molecule or ion that have the same arrangement of atoms but different distribution of electrons.

2. Why are resonance structures important?

Resonance structures help us understand the stability and reactivity of molecules. They also help explain the observed physical and chemical properties of molecules.

3. How do you draw resonance structures?

To draw resonance structures, you need to identify the atoms and their connectivity in the molecule. Then, you can move electrons around to show different arrangements of double bonds and lone pairs. Remember to follow the octet rule and minimize formal charges.

4. What is the difference between resonance structures and isomers?

Resonance structures are different ways of representing the same molecule, while isomers are different molecules with the same molecular formula but different arrangements of atoms. Resonance structures only differ in the placement of electrons, while isomers have different chemical and physical properties.

5. How do resonance structures contribute to the overall stability of a molecule?

Resonance structures contribute to the overall stability of a molecule by delocalizing electrons and spreading out the charge. This leads to a more stable molecule with lower potential energy. The more resonance structures a molecule has, the more stable it is.