What really are resonance structures?

In summary: There are different ways to expand a multi-electron wavefunction into a basis set. One approach is molecular orbital theory, where the building blocks are Slater determinants made up of single electron molecular orbitals. Another approach is valence bond theory where the molecular wavefunction is constructed from atomic orbitals. There are different ways of doing so and one approach uses a set of paired atomic orbitals wherea complete set of different independent pairing schemes are found from Rumer diagrams which are the mathematical construct corresponding to the different valence structures.
Yashbhatt
This is a concept I have never really understood. I mean to say is how can we include such a thing in a theory? How can we use them if we know that they don't actually exist? Are they some sort of calculation tool?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yashbhatt said:
some sort of calculation tool?
Head count on "valence shell" electrons, and a rough idea of how they contribute to various bonding.

Bystander said:
Head count on "valence shell" electrons, and a rough idea of how they contribute to various bonding.

But why do we include them when they don't really exist?

Yashbhatt said:
include them
"Why use them?" As tools to enhance understanding of molecular structure, they are crude. As a chemist, when working with anything more complex than hydrogen atoms or hydrogen like ions, I'm stuck with crude tools.

Bystander said:
"Why use them?" As tools to enhance understanding of molecular structure, they are crude. As a chemist, when working with anything more complex than hydrogen atoms or hydrogen like ions, I'm stuck with crude tools.
I think of them as states. More number of resonance structures means more number of states in which the compound can exist thus making the compounds more stable. Is it correct to think of it in that way?

Yashbhatt said:
Is it correct to think of it in that way?
I wouldn't call it incorrect. If you'll do a little reading on benzene, Dewar benzene resonance structures, aromaticity, and compare the bond energies of three C-C single bonds plus three C=C double bonds to the delocalization energy of a benzene or aromatic ring, you will find that there is a quantitative difference in the stabilization energy when compared to that of the Dewar resonance structures.

There are different ways to expand a multi-electron wavefunction into a basis set. One approach is molecular orbital theory, where the building blocks are Slater determinants made up of single electron molecular orbitals. Another approach is valence bond theory where the molecular wavefunction is constructed from atomic orbitals. There are different ways of doing so and one approach uses a set of paired atomic orbitals wherea complete set of different independent pairing schemes are found from Rumer diagrams which are the mathematical construct corresponding to the different valence structures.
It often turns out that the electronic wavefunction can be approximated very well as a resonance structure, or, in modern terminology, a superposition of only a handful of valence structures. This makes the valence structures a valuable tool though they aren't unique.
The classic text to understand all this is still be book by Eyring, Walther and Kimball, Quantum chemistry.

Likes Ygggdrasil
Bystander said:
I wouldn't call it incorrect. If you'll do a little reading on benzene, Dewar benzene resonance structures, aromaticity, and compare the bond energies of three C-C single bonds plus three C=C double bonds to the delocalization energy of a benzene or aromatic ring, you will find that there is a quantitative difference in the stabilization energy when compared to that of the Dewar resonance structures.

Yeah. That's the thing I have been studying these days.

Bystander said:

Yeah. That's the thing I am studying these days.
DrDu said:
There are different ways to expand a multi-electron wavefunction into a basis set. One approach is molecular orbital theory, where the building blocks are Slater determinants made up of single electron molecular orbitals. Another approach is valence bond theory where the molecular wavefunction is constructed from atomic orbitals. There are different ways of doing so and one approach uses a set of paired atomic orbitals wherea complete set of different independent pairing schemes are found from Rumer diagrams which are the mathematical construct corresponding to the different valence structures.
It often turns out that the electronic wavefunction can be approximated very well as a resonance structure, or, in modern terminology, a superposition of only a handful of valence structures. This makes the valence structures a valuable tool though they aren't unique.
The classic text to understand all this is still be book by Eyring, Walther and Kimball, Quantum chemistry.

I have a question. Are resonance structures something like dynamic equilibrium(i.e. continuously changing states) or are they something which is in between both the states?

Yashbhatt said:
I have a question. Are resonance structures something like dynamic equilibrium(i.e. continuously changing states) or are they something which is in between both the states?
Good question. The reality is somewhere between all of the resonance structures. For example, benzene's C-C bond length is somewhere between the single and double bond lengths for carbon.

Likes Yashbhatt

1. What are resonance structures?

Resonance structures are different representations of a molecule or ion that can be drawn by moving electrons. They show the possible locations of electrons in a molecule and help to explain its properties.

2. How do resonance structures differ from Lewis structures?

Resonance structures differ from Lewis structures in that they show the possible locations of electrons in a molecule, while Lewis structures only show the locations of valence electrons.

3. What causes molecules to have resonance structures?

Molecules have resonance structures when they have delocalized electrons, meaning that the electrons are not confined to a specific bond or atom but are spread out over the molecule.

4. Do all molecules have resonance structures?

No, not all molecules have resonance structures. Only molecules with delocalized electrons, such as molecules with double bonds or lone pairs of electrons, can have resonance structures.

5. How do resonance structures affect the stability of a molecule?

Resonance structures contribute to the overall stability of a molecule by distributing the electrons more evenly, which helps to lower the molecule's energy. This results in a more stable molecule compared to one with fewer resonance structures.