What type of letters are used in aero-engineering when hand writing?

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
As an example, here is an open-access article from the AIAA Journal that everyone should be able to access for free. The exact topic is not important to the discussion, but it is illustrative of some of the common formatting practices in technical communication documents.

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/pdfplus/10.2514/1.J058977

Likes FactChecker
berkeman
Mentor
All caps should be reserved for acronyms. If there is any hope for publication, all caps are completely unacceptable. You should pick a respectable publication and mimic it.
Yeah, the OP's original question was about hand-written pages, not publications, though. That's where the caps and small-caps came up. :smile:
Which type of letters is rule to use in aero-engineering when hand writing?
All capitals-block letters, cursive, upper and lower case-block letters. .?

I'm trying to imagine Luftwaffe instrument panels using gothic script (blackletter). I can't do it.
That style is called Fraktur.

I'm reading this with my daughter who is a consulting engineer (structural) in Dallas in the house. I asked her about her company's standards, and she said everything on drawings is done in (uniform) upper case, so there is one real life data point.

My own preference was always to mix upper and lower case, but I never did drawings that had to meet a company drafting standard. My work was always just to illustrate my own work.

Likes berkeman
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In any field where acronyms are used constantly, (that includes any field with military or government connections), using all upper case would be very confusing. That is true whether it is handwritten, typed, or done by publicists. Even in other fields, it makes proper names and the beginning of sentences hard to spot. It's a bad practice. I suppose you could use the large/small all-caps method if you were very careful about easily distinguishable sizes and did not have something where the text size did not otherwise vary much.

Last edited:
boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The fundamental issue here was the original question. @John Mcrain asked about hand-writing, but then later clarified that his question was about text in technical papers and books. After that, he then backtracked a bit to refocus on handwriting.

The bottom line here is the following:
  • Most technical communication (books, journal articles, reports) are written on a computer and use standard text (standard capitalization rules).
  • Handwriting in engineering school is generally only for solving problems (e.g. homework), not for long documents with lots of text and is generally not regulated.
  • Handwriting used to be common in drafting and would typically be in all caps or small caps. Very little hand drafting occurs these days, however, so it mostly comes down to what your CAD program has enabled by default (usually all caps).

Likes FactChecker
I think most people responding here are in the US, like I am. Universities in some other countries might have more rigid standards for this sort of thing.
This is US forum?

It's an international forum. The US has most native English speakers, so most English-language forums have many people from the US.