What type of letters are used in aero-engineering when hand writing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter John Mcrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    hand Type Writing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 8K views
The fundamental issue here was the original question. @John Mcrain asked about hand-writing, but then later clarified that his question was about text in technical papers and books. After that, he then backtracked a bit to refocus on handwriting.

The bottom line here is the following:
  • Most technical communication (books, journal articles, reports) are written on a computer and use standard text (standard capitalization rules).
  • Handwriting in engineering school is generally only for solving problems (e.g. homework), not for long documents with lots of text and is generally not regulated.
  • Handwriting used to be common in drafting and would typically be in all caps or small caps. Very little hand drafting occurs these days, however, so it mostly comes down to what your CAD program has enabled by default (usually all caps).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
I think most people responding here are in the US, like I am. Universities in some other countries might have more rigid standards for this sort of thing.
This is US forum?
 
It's an international forum. The US has most native English speakers, so most English-language forums have many people from the US.
 
berkeman said:
For me, "small caps" is easier to read than all caps the same size, since it sets off words better.
There are lots of theories about this topic,this one tell there is not true that all caps are harder to read, but I think it is personal.

https://www.blog.theteamw.com/2009/...apital-letters-are-inherently-harder-to-read/

I dont see at words like shapes, I must see clean lettes to recognize words, for example I read slow others cursive handwriting or even my if I write fast and ugly. Cursive from my doctor I cant read at all,literally.

For me not difference in read this two text, if I use stopwacth and try to read this text as fast as possible,both text I read in same time.

All CAPS:
"IT’S PARALLEL LETTER RECOGNITION, NOT WORD SHAPE — THE OLD THEORY ON WORD SHAPES COMES FROM A PSYCHOLINGUIST NAMED CATTELL WHO CAME UP WITH THAT THEORY IN 1886. THERE WAS SOME EVIDENCE FOR IT, BUT MORE RECENT RESEARCH SHOWS THAT IT IS LETTERS YOU ARE RECOGNIZING AND ANTICIPATING. YOU DON’T RECOGNIZE WORDS BY THE SHAPE OF THE WORD. YOU RECOGNIZE FAMILIAR LETTER SEQUENCES. THE RESEARCH STRONGLY SUGGESTS THAT YOU RECOGNIZE ALL THE LETTERS IN A WORD AT THE SAME TIME, AND THEN YOU USE THE RECOGNITION OF THOSE LETTERS TO RECOGNIZE THE WORD."
lowercase:
"It’s parallel letter recognition, not word shape — the old theory on word shapes comes from a psycholinguist named cattell who came up with that theory in 1886. there was some evidence for it, but more recent research shows that it is letters you are recognizing and anticipating. you don’t recognize words by the shape of the word. you recognize familiar letter sequences. the research strongly suggests that you recognize all the letters in a word at the same time, and then you use the recognition of those letters to recognize the word."
This cursive I dont understand, this is not reading it is decoding.
oopb8dht7s041.jpg


boneh3ad said:
  • Handwriting in engineering school is generally only for solving problems (e.g. homework), not for long documents with lots of text and is generally not regulated.
It is not regulated but maybe is better to write in cursive when take notes during class, some theory suggest that.

 
Last edited: