What Value of q Maximizes the Repulsive Force Between Two Charges?

• Thread starter aaronmilk3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Therefore, the value of q that maximizes the repulsive electric force is half of the total charge, Q, which is divided into two unequal parts. This can be derived algebraically by setting the derivative of the force equation equal to zero and solving for q. In summary, to maximize the repulsive electric force between two unequal charges separated by a non-zero distance, the value of q should be half of the total charge, Q.
aaronmilk3
Derive your results algebraically… No graphical results.
An excess charge of +Q is distributed into two unequal parts, one having charge +q .
Assume that these two new charges are now separated by a non-zero distance. What value of q maximizes the repulsive electric force that one of these new charges exerts on the other?

I got so far that q and the other one is charged (Q-q) due to the repulsive force. I know I would need to take the derivative but this is where I got lost. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
aaronmilk3 said:
I got so far that q and the other one is charged (Q-q) due to the repulsive force. I know I would need to take the derivative but this is where I got lost. Any help would be great! Thank you in advance!
You're on the right track. As a matter of fact, it sounds to me like you almost have it already! :smile:

So go ahead and set up your force equation, with one charge q and the other charge (Q - q), separated by some distance.

To maximize a function, take the derivative with respect to whatever variable you wish to vary, and then set the result equal to zero. Solve for the variable (algebra). That's the value of the variable that maximizes or minimizes the function.*

*The answer can give local maxima or local minima. So if you get multiple values (such as in a quadratic), you might wish to do some sanity checking to figure out what each value is. In this particular problem though, you end up with a single maximum (no minimum) so the need for sanity checking doesn't apply here.

The idea behind the procedure is this: When a smooth function rises to the top of its [possibly local] maximum or bottom of its [possibly local] minimum, the slope of the line is zero at this point. So the above procedure is merely finding where the slope of the function equals zero, as the variable changes.

yes, right, take the derivative with respect to q (that is d/dq), and solve as above.

you should get Q = q/2

Related to What Value of q Maximizes the Repulsive Force Between Two Charges?

1. What is qualitative physics?

Qualitative physics is a branch of physics that uses descriptive and conceptual models rather than numerical calculations to understand and explain physical phenomena. It focuses on the properties and behaviors of objects and systems, rather than precise measurements and equations.

2. How is qualitative physics different from quantitative physics?

Quantitative physics is concerned with numerical measurements and mathematical models to explain physical phenomena, while qualitative physics focuses on understanding the properties, behaviors, and relationships between objects and systems without using numbers or equations.

3. What are some examples of qualitative physics questions?

Examples of qualitative physics questions include: How does air resistance affect the motion of a falling object? What factors determine the strength of an electromagnet? How does the shape of a lens affect the image formed by a camera?

4. Why is qualitative physics important?

Qualitative physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles and concepts behind physical phenomena, which can then be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as engineering, environmental science, and medicine.

5. How is qualitative physics used in scientific research?

Qualitative physics is used in scientific research to develop conceptual models and theories, design experiments, and interpret data. It allows scientists to explore and understand complex systems and phenomena, and can also serve as a starting point for more quantitative studies.