What values of x make f continuous?

In summary, the values of x where the function f(x)= x-1 / x2+4x+3 is continuous are all real numbers except 1. The function is discontinuous at x=1 due to a removable discontinuity. Similarly, for the function f(x)= x2-4 / x2+x-2, the values of x where the function is continuous are all real numbers except for the roots of the denominator, which are -2 and 1. The function has removable discontinuities at x=1 and x=-2, which can be thought of as 'holes' in the graph. To test for discontinuity, the denominator of the function must be equal to zero, and to test for a
XodoX

Homework Statement

Give values of x where f(x)= x-1 / x2+4x+3 is continuous

f(x)= x2-4 / x2+x-2 Where x has removable discontinuity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Continuous, jump, infinite, removable.

It's been so long that I do not remember. I tried to look it up, but can not make sense of it. Continuous was continuous at all points, If I remember correctly. So I would have to plug in 1 and the result has to be 1. And it's removable when the factors on the top and bottom cancel. So it would be "removable" at -2. Not sure how to test for discontinuity. I can't really plug in a bunch of values until I find a hole. I suppose it's discontinuous when the equation is 0 ? So it would be all x except 1.
Same goes for jump and infinite.. not sure how to do this using an equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
For both equations, the functions is discontinuous if the denominator is ever equal to zero.

Both of the denominators are quadratic expressions which yield two distinct, real roots. Those roots are the values where your functions are discontinuous.

A removable discontinuity can be thought of as a 'hole' in a graph. That is, a discontinuity which can be repaired by filling in a single point.

Related to What values of x make f continuous?

What is the definition of continuity of functions?

The continuity of a function means that the function has no abrupt changes or disruptions in its values. In other words, as the input values of the function change, the output values change in a smooth and gradual manner.

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that is continuous at every point in its domain. This means that the function has no sudden jumps or gaps in its graph and can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

How do you check for continuity of a function?

To check for continuity of a function, we can use the three-part definition of continuity. This includes checking if the function is defined at the point, if the left and right limits of the function exist at the point, and if the function value at the point is equal to the limits.

What are the types of discontinuities in a function?

The types of discontinuities in a function include removable, jump, and infinite discontinuities. Removable discontinuities occur when a function has a hole in its graph, jump discontinuities occur when there is a sudden jump in the graph, and infinite discontinuities occur when the function approaches positive or negative infinity at a certain point.

Why is continuity important in mathematics and science?

Continuity is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function. It is also necessary for the application of calculus and other mathematical concepts in real-world problems.