What are the products and reactions of KNO3+NaOH+MgSO4+H2O in one container?

• Thread starter hediki
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the chemical reaction between KNO3, NaOH, MgSO4, and H2O and the resulting gas and solid substance. The participants also discuss the possibility of a hydroxide compound being formed. One person mentions the acid-base reaction between SO42- and OH- ions, while the other suggests considering the dissociation of the ions and potential precipitates.
hediki
hey ok i have KNO3+NaOH+MgSO4+H2O in one container now i see so very small bubbles, what is the gas being released? and the is this cloudy some what solid substance at the bottom what can that be? is it a hydroxide compund?

Physics news on Phys.org
some one please

1: Don't double post.
2: This is, as I hope you know, an acid reaction (not sure of the right words in english). [tex]{SO_4}^{++}[/tex] is an acid, [tex]OH^-[/tex] (which appears when dissolving NaOH) is a very strong base. They will obviously react. Think again, and maybe you'll find it.

1 i didnt double post they moved it...
2 u didnt answer y question

nazgjunk said:
1: Don't double post.
2: This is, as I hope you know, an acid reaction (not sure of the right words in english). [tex]{SO_4}^{++}[/tex] is an acid, [tex]OH^-[/tex] (which appears when dissolving NaOH) is a very strong base. They will obviously react. Think again, and maybe you'll find it.

What is SO4++? I think you meant SO42-, which is a conjugate base and not an acid. SO42- will NOT react with OH- because both want to accept a hydrogen ion. It WILL react with H2O, however.

First, I'd start out by writing out the ions dissociated. KNO3 is soluble, NaOH is a strong base so it will dissociate, and MgSO4 is soluble in water. Then think which two ions will go together to form a precipitate.

Then think about what will happen when the SO42- reacts with H2O. Let's see what you can come up with :smile:.

What are bi-products?

Bi-products are secondary products that are created as a result of a primary production process. They are typically not the intended end product, but are still useful or valuable.

What factors influence the bi-products produced?

The bi-products produced can be influenced by various factors such as the type of raw materials used, production methods, and environmental conditions. These factors can also vary depending on the specific industry or process.

Are bi-products always harmful to the environment?

No, bi-products can be either beneficial or harmful to the environment. It depends on the nature of the bi-product and how it is managed. Some bi-products can be reused or recycled, while others may require careful disposal to prevent harm to the environment.

How can bi-products be managed and utilized?

Bi-products can be managed and utilized in various ways, including recycling, reusing, and repurposing. They can also be used as raw materials for other processes or converted into energy sources. Proper management and utilization of bi-products can help reduce waste and contribute to a more sustainable production process.

What are the potential benefits and challenges of bi-products?

The potential benefits of bi-products include reducing waste and creating new sources of revenue. However, they can also pose challenges such as the need for proper disposal and potential environmental impacts. Overall, effectively managing bi-products can lead to more sustainable and efficient production processes.