Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What will be my bi-prducts

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    hey ok i have KNO3+NaOH+MgSO4+H2O in one container now i see so very small bubbles, what is the gas being released? and the is this cloudy some what solid substance at the bottom what can that be? is it a hydroxide compund?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2
    some one plz

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3
    1: Don't double post.
    2: This is, as I hope you know, an acid reaction (not sure of the right words in english). [tex]{SO_4}^{++}[/tex] is an acid, [tex]OH^-[/tex] (which appears when dissolving NaOH) is a very strong base. They will obviously react. Think again, and maybe you'll find it.

5. Apr 20, 2006 #4
    1 i didnt double post they moved it......
    2 u didnt answer y question

6. Apr 20, 2006 #5
    What is SO4++? I think you meant SO42-, which is a conjugate base and not an acid. SO42- will NOT react with OH- because both want to accept a hydrogen ion. It WILL react with H2O, however.

First, I'd start out by writing out the ions dissociated. KNO3 is soluble, NaOH is a strong base so it will dissociate, and MgSO4 is soluble in water. Then think which two ions will go together to form a precipitate.

Then think about what will happen when the SO42- reacts with H2O. Let's see what you can come up with :smile:.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook