1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will be my bi-prducts

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    hey ok i have KNO3+NaOH+MgSO4+H2O in one container now i see so very small bubbles, what is the gas being released? and the is this cloudy some what solid substance at the bottom what can that be? is it a hydroxide compund?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2
    some one plz
  4. Apr 20, 2006 #3
    1: Don't double post.
    2: This is, as I hope you know, an acid reaction (not sure of the right words in english). [tex]{SO_4}^{++}[/tex] is an acid, [tex]OH^-[/tex] (which appears when dissolving NaOH) is a very strong base. They will obviously react. Think again, and maybe you'll find it.
  5. Apr 20, 2006 #4
    1 i didnt double post they moved it......
    2 u didnt answer y question
  6. Apr 20, 2006 #5
    What is SO4++? I think you meant SO42-, which is a conjugate base and not an acid. SO42- will NOT react with OH- because both want to accept a hydrogen ion. It WILL react with H2O, however.

First, I'd start out by writing out the ions dissociated. KNO3 is soluble, NaOH is a strong base so it will dissociate, and MgSO4 is soluble in water. Then think which two ions will go together to form a precipitate.

Then think about what will happen when the SO42- reacts with H2O. Let's see what you can come up with :smile:.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?