Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would happen if someone was sucked into a black hole?

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Hypothetically, what would happen if a person was sucked into a black hole? Would they just simply die?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the BH. A small one will rip you apart by tidal forces before you got close to the event horizon (the crossing of which I am guessing is what you mean by "sucked into").

A very big one may be OK - you'd just experience that you keep going - the view may get a bit strange. The event horizon is a coordinate singularity: exists in the math not real life.
    http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    What would happen if Earth was consumed by a giant black hole?

5. Sep 2, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

We'd all be dead.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you'd still be sphagettified, it's just that it would happen inside the EH instead of outside the way it does on a small one.

7. Sep 2, 2012 #6
    Please explain what being "spaghettified" means.

8. Sep 2, 2012 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Tidal forces would stretch you into a thin string. It would be very unpleasant.

9. Sep 2, 2012 #8
    In holographic theory, black holes don't have an inside. If you cross the event horizon, you become part of the black hole, and you are somehow encoded onto the surface. It's speculative, though.

10. Sep 2, 2012 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think "speculative" is an overly generous description of that theory, but that's opinion I know.

11. Sep 2, 2012 #10
    The physics of black holes are absolutely baffling. Even top-notch astrophysicists have a hard time understanding them.

I don't think science has a solid and definitive answer of what black holes are and how they actually work. The only thing they have is theory and conjecture.

12. Sep 3, 2012 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

See the link I provided in post #2 ... if the gradient across the event horizon is sufficiently shallow, we'd all just end up inside the event horizon. That would be a pretty big mass though.

"Insufficient" would mean you'd never make it to the event horizon.

When we are talking about general relativity effects we need to be careful though - particularly about who is doing the watching and where they are. We have to be careful to define out terms.

I have been guessing at the meanings of the terms of the question.
    Don't make me guess.

Note: should this be in the science fiction forum?

13. Sep 3, 2012 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would you think this should be in SCIFIC? This is a straightforward discussion of BH's, like hundrends of similar threads here.

14. Sep 3, 2012 #13
    If a black hole entered our solar system, would the sun and all of the planets be consumed?

Is it true that black holes drift aimlessly through the cosmos, or do they sit in a fixed position?

What creates black holes?

Do black holes ever close up and disappear, or do they exist forever?

What is known about supermassive black holes, such as the one in the center of our galaxy?

15. Sep 3, 2012 #14
    His insurance company would find a way of not paying.

16. Sep 3, 2012 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think you would be better off it you just Googled black holes and read up on them yourself, then come back here if you still have questions rather than just spouting questions at random about black holes.

17. Sep 3, 2012 #16

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I"d suggest reading Tedd Bunn's black hole FAQ. You might also try the sci.physics FAQ too.

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html

I'll quote a longish section that seem relevant to your questions, in the hope you'll read the original.

18. Sep 3, 2012 #17

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Unanswerable without further details.

2) "Fixed position" is not well defined without a context. Do you mean "fixed" with respect to the CMBR, or the galaxy in which it lives, or what? "Drift aimlessly" is also not well defined. Black holes move just like other stars since they interact gravitationally just like other stars.

3) Black holes may eventually evaporate due to Hawking radiation and so are not eternal; however, for a large black hole, this process takes an extremely long time (even on cosmological time scales).

4) We know some of its properties like its approximate mass and therefore the approximate event horizon size. We don't currently know very well how it formed; we only have a few suggested hypotheses.

19. Sep 4, 2012 #18

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1. there was no Sci fi forum before.
    2. OP is sprouting questions without seeming to be interested in discussion
    3. At best, OP is in "idle speculation" mode

But since I posted that, there has been another question whose answer is basically the same as before ... there has been no attempt to use more precise terms, no indication that previous links have been used. Little indication that we've even been listened to.

20. Sep 4, 2012 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

+1 on all that

21. Sep 4, 2012 #20
    It's my understanding that relative time slows down the nearer you get to the black hole - so the person in question would die of old age before reaching the black hole - if he ever does reach it. To an outside observer though, the "victim" getting "sucked in" would seem almost instantaneous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook