Building a Planet: Considerations for a Habitable Solar System

In summary, the person is building a planet that orbits a sun and needs help. The planet has 11 planes/asteroids and is called Le Bear. It takes 378 days to rotate around the sun and has a circumference of 8199.49 miles. There are 12 months of 28 days and 1 1/2 months of festivals, with each day having 30 hours and each hour having 60 minutes. The planet has 4 moons, with Moon 1 taking 27 days to circle Earth, Moon 2 taking 35 days, Moon 3 taking 55 days, and Moon 4 taking 77 days. The person is trying to make the planet similar to Earth, but with these differences
dranthor
I am building a planet that will orbit a sun and I need help My world has 11 planes/asteroids. the planet Le Bear has multiple life forms on it. It takes 378 days to rotate around the sun. My planet has a circumference of 8199.49 miles. there are 12 months of 28 days and then 1 1/2 months of festivals for the total of 378 days. Each day has 30 hours in it and each hour has 60 minutes. there are 4 moons that circle the planet Moon 1 takes 27 days to circle earth. Moon 2 takes 35 days to circle earth. Moon 3 takes 55 days to circle Earth and Moon 4 takes 77 days to circle earth. I'm figuring that the planet is similar to Earth except for the above mentioned facts. there are 9 planets not including the one I am talking about above.
So the questions I have are as follows
1. how far wold the sun be from the planet
2. What type of star would be best for the sun?
3. Assuming the planet is similar to Earth how would the moons affect tides.
4. Is it possible that another planet could also be habitable.
5. is there anything else I should be looking at? axi tilts?
thanks
dranthor

Sorry I didn't see a science writing forum but if you will direct me to it I'll be glad to post this on that forum

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggest that you look at AstroGrav because that allows you to create your solar system in simulation and answer the basics such as distance from sun, what type of star you need to support a habital zone depending on the distance, whether the moons would be in stable orbits on the parameters you note, and how far out the moons need to be for the orbital durations you mention.

I would also recommend using a gravity simulator for this. The moons you described would definitely not be stable. Moons pull on each other, so unless they're extremely tiny, they'd have to end up in some sort of stable configuration. The term you want to research is "orbital resonance."

1. What is a solar system?

A solar system is a collection of planets, moons, comets, asteroids, and other celestial bodies that orbit around a central star, in our case the Sun. Our solar system is located in the Milky Way galaxy and is estimated to be around 4.6 billion years old.

2. How many planets are in our solar system?

There are eight planets in our solar system: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. In 2006, Pluto was reclassified as a "dwarf planet" and is no longer considered one of the main planets in our solar system.

3. Are there other solar systems in the universe?

Yes, there are countless other solar systems in the universe. In fact, scientists estimate that there could be billions of other solar systems in our own galaxy alone. With the vastness of the universe, it is highly likely that there are many other solar systems out there.

4. How do we discover new solar systems?

Scientists use a variety of methods to discover new solar systems. One common method is the transit method, where researchers look for dips in a star's brightness caused by a planet passing in front of it. Another method is the radial velocity method, where scientists look for the slight wobble of a star caused by the gravitational pull of a planet orbiting around it.

5. Can we live on other planets in our solar system?

Currently, Earth is the only planet in our solar system that is capable of supporting life as we know it. However, scientists are constantly searching for signs of habitability on other planets and moons in our solar system. In the future, it is possible that we may be able to live on other planets with advanced technology and terraforming techniques.