Whats a good uC family for DSP and analysis?

In summary, the future expert summarizer believes that in order to handle signal processing and mathematical operations, they will need a microprocessor that can handle more than advanced. They are looking into PICs, Atmels 32-bit ARM processors, and possibly FPGAs.
Topher925
In the not to distant future I'm going to require a microprocessor that can handle a good amount of signal processing and a lot of mathematical operations. Currently, all the development tools I have used are low end beginner stuff and are no where near capable of doing these things I need. So I figured I'd start from square one by learning an entirely new chip that's more than advanced enough for what I need so I'll have room to grow into it in the future.

I mostly have been looking at PICs since they are so well supported and I have programmed the 12Fs years ago. uChip also has a 25% discount for students. I'm thinking some of the higher end dS pics with USB or maybe even the PIC32s. I've also been looking at the ARMs but a lot of them use 3.3v which really bugs the crap out of me.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what family I should go with or look into?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Analog devices, and Texas instrument

something like this maybe?

http://www.analog.com/en/embedded-processing-dsp/blackfin/BF518-EZBRD/processors/product.html

Another option might be to look at some FPGA development boards. I recently started using a NI DAQ that has an on-board Xilinx FGPA and I must say I was surprised at how powerful it is; even when programmed using Labview...
So something like the Spartan starter kit might also be worth a look.

waht said:
something like this maybe?

I guess I should have specified that I'm looking for more of a microcontroller and not a microprocessor. I think something like BlueFin would be a little overkill for my applications anyway.

So something like the Spartan starter kit might also be worth a look.

The CE/EE department at school love these things. I think to really take advantage of an FPGA though you need to be able to program in VHDL which I really know nothing about.

I've been looking at maybe using some of Atmels 32-bit processors and having a second look at the ARMs. I've used Cordiumcorp's ARMmite before and it seems like might be what I'm looking for once I get rid of the Basic compiler even though the chip is only sort of 5v tolerant.

I like the fact that Atmel provides their development studio and GCC compiler absolutely free while MicroChip and others do not ($900 for MicroChips C32 Compiler :eek:).

I think I found my next chip to learn. Atmel's AVR32 seems like it fits the bill pretty well. It includes a DSP library, all the development tools are free, plus its really powerful and has lot of cool features like being able to be programmed directly from USB. It can even support operating systems so it can support a linux kernal. The chips are very well priced too.

What is a good uC family for DSP and analysis?

A good uC (microcontroller) family for DSP (digital signal processing) and analysis is one that has a high performance and processing speed, a wide range of peripherals, and a robust development environment. Some examples of uC families that are commonly used for DSP and analysis applications include ARM Cortex-M, Texas Instruments MSP430, and Microchip PIC32.

What factors should I consider when choosing a uC for DSP and analysis?

When choosing a uC for DSP and analysis, there are several factors to consider such as the processing speed and performance, available peripherals (e.g. ADC, DAC, timers), memory size and type, and development tools and support. It is also important to consider the specific requirements and specifications of your application.

Can I use any uC for DSP and analysis?

While many uC families can be used for DSP and analysis, not all are suitable for high performance and real-time applications. It is important to carefully evaluate the specifications and capabilities of a uC before deciding if it is suitable for your specific DSP and analysis needs.

What are some common programming languages used for uC-based DSP and analysis?

Common programming languages used for uC-based DSP and analysis include C, C++, and assembly language. These languages offer low-level control and efficient use of resources, which are important for DSP and analysis applications. Some uC families also have their own proprietary programming languages or development environments.

Do I need specialized knowledge to use a uC for DSP and analysis?

While a basic understanding of digital signal processing and microcontroller architecture is helpful, many uC families have user-friendly development tools and libraries that make it easier to implement DSP and analysis algorithms. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with using a uC for DSP and analysis.