Is Sarkozy addressing the ongoing violence in French suburbs effectively?

• News
  • Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
In summary: Since the start of the year, 9,000 police cars have been stoned and, each night, 20 to 40 cars are torched, Sarkozy said in an interview with the newspaper Le Monde. This amounts to a total of about 30,000 cars that have been damaged or destroyed since the start of the year. This is a significant increase from the 5,000 police cars that were stoned and torched during the same time period in 2004. This increase in violence is likely due to the growing presence of gangs in the French suburbs, which Sarkozy attributes to a lack of discipline and a lack of values in the youth.
That was a very good link, Art. Something I've found informative is the NPR Page on the French riots. The archive goes back a couple of days and includes reports and, more importantly I think, interviews with many French people on both sides of the issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Again, I would like to point out that in these violent riots, a small minority of people was actually involved which caused a lot of damage, and the main problem is in the long build-up of "unlawfulness" in these quarters, much more than "racial discrimination" or other often invoked problems (which ALSO exist, but have no direct link).

In a recent article in Liberation:

http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=338547

it is said that of the 2838 arrested people during the riots, 80% (EIGHTY PERCENT) is known by the police already for drug traffic and other underground economy activities.

This clearly proves that it is a matter of GANGS (organized crime) and NOT a matter of popular riots, racism, or whatever. Of course these gangs (which indeed mainly consist of youngsters of North-African decent) have all interest to shift the spotlight to racism or other topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
vanesch said:
Again, I would like to point out that in these violent riots, a small minority of people was actually involved which caused a lot of damage, and the main problem is in the long build-up of "unlawfulness" in these quarters, much more than "racial discrimination" or other often invoked problems (which ALSO exist, but have no direct link).
In a recent article in Liberation:
http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=338547
it is said that of the 2838 arrested people during the riots, 80% (EIGHTY PERCENT) is known by the police already for drug traffic and other underground economy activities.
This clearly proves that it is a matter of GANGS (organized crime) and NOT a matter of popular riots, racism, or whatever. Of course these gangs (which indeed mainly consist of youngsters of North-African decent) have all interest to shift the spotlight to racism or other topics.
I do not think it is as clear as that. We would need to know under what circumstances the 2838 people were arrested. If the police simply picked up everybody they had a file on or suspected were gang members then the fact they have records is simply a circular argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
I do not think it is as clear as that. We would need to know under what circumstances the 2838 people were arrested. If the police simply picked up everybody they had a file on or suspected were gang members then the fact they have records is simply a circular argument.

As far as I understand (not in the article, but it was on the radio too), these were arrests made "on the spot" of people rioting - at least that is what I understood.

Last edited: