What's on the news?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date

On the news in your country, do they show...

• ... the dead and wounded civilians of Baghdad?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... the citizens of Baghdad being very angry at the USA and Britain?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ... US soldiers executed by the Iraqi military?

• ... "friendly fire" incidents, such as the US Patriot missile shooting down a British Tornado?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ... occasional clear attacks against civilians, such as the bus full of refugees that the USA bombed

• ... interviews with members of the Iraqi administration?

• ... interviews with members of the Red Cross and Amnesty International?

• Total voters
Alias
Dude, chill out. Didn't you read the last part of my post about how they are all soap salesmen anyway?

Besides, I can't watch ABC. I swear to God, everytime I see Peter Jennings, it looks and sounds like he's getting ready to break down and cry about the inhumanity of it all. Jeez, Peter, see a shrink!

You're not the guy that hates it when people tell him to "chill out" are you?!?!

russ_watters
Mentor
To Alias and Russ Waters
climbhi, I made no speculation regarding your political afiliation (sorry alias).

How do they get away with it in the supposedly liberal media?
Huh, damgo? Maybe I need to clarify. When people say liberals "dominate" (I didn't use that word) the media, they don't mean they control all sources of media, just that the majority of the media is liberal. There is still a free press so there is nothing to "get away with." Its just that the ideology of being a liberal fits well with the profession of reporter or newscaster. All professions have a lean to some degree or another - wall street bankers are more likely to be republican than democrat for example.

Also, it should be noted that the people you mentioned do not report the news, they only comment on it. There is no need for or question of objectivity in a show like Rush Limbaugh's. Its obvious to anyone who listens what the point is (commentary and opinion, not facts) and what his bias is (conservative). What I have a problem with is people who report news - the facts - in a way that reflects their bias while feigning objectivity. Thats Peter Jennings and Dan Rather. Though to his credit, Dan Rather makes no attempt to hide his bias.

Also, I DID state in my post that I don't watch Fox because of their sensationalism. And thats a separate issue from their bias.

kat
Article is about 3/4's way down the page.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003140559,00.html [Broken]
his bosses over 'bias'

By TREVOR KAVANAGH
Political Editor

THE BBC was last night sensationally condemned for “one-sided” war coverage — by its own front line defence correspondent.

Paul Adams attacks the Beeb for misreporting the Allied advance in a blistering memo leaked to The Sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sun by the way is the tabloid with the least credibility in the Country also, so i'll not take anything I read in it with much less than a bucket of salt.

However I've been following the BBC coverage for a few hours a day, and if anything they do seem to have an anti-war bias, for whatever reason. I believe they are a lot less biased either way than most other news sources, but this leak doesn't surprise me particularly.

kyleb
Originally posted by Mulder

However I've been following the BBC coverage for a few hours a day, and if anything they do seem to have an anti-war bias, for whatever reason.

how about the obvious reason; most of the people who work there do not think this war is a good idea. as for The Sun, besides being a tabloid it is run by one of the biggest media tycoons around; here is his view on this war from a while back:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/city/story/0,7497,893365,00.html

it seems blatantly obvious as to what his motivations are, and an interesting bit about how his editors are unanimously behind him:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/rupertmurdoch/story/0,11136,897314,00.html

kat
I actually didn't put any personal opinion comments on my post because the the article is in the Sun. I don't normally read it but came across the link in a blog and thought it interesting. Please let me know if you see it any where else.
I'm not kidding about the BBC winning the dishonest reporting award in 2001, however.:wink:

The BBC generally report with a lot less political bias than FOX news for example. The BBC couldn't get away with the levels of bias of some US news channels I've seen.

kat
Originally posted by Mulder
The BBC generally report with a lot less political bias than FOX news for example. The BBC couldn't get away with the levels of bias of some US news channels I've seen.

Sorry, maybe you thought I was suggesting it was a competition[?] I haven't watched FOX since the first year it was launched and realized rather quickly that although it was wholly sold as being "bigger", "brighter, and more "provocative" then it's predescessors it consisted of little more then shallow and mindless fluff and a seemingly inexhaustible platoon of shouting heads spewing little more then mindless, canned propaganda. To me this has nothing to do with left or right, after all when it comes to conglomerate owned media, doesn't all the left, and all the right in the end eminate from the same hegemony? only to meet somewhere, inconspicuously behind all of our backs?