What's the best way to apply the concepts learned in physics 2?

In summary, the speaker is finishing up a physics 2 course and wants to find practical ways to apply the concepts they learned over the summer. They are considering building a radio receiver or working through an electronics book and are seeking recommendations for projects or books that would help cement their understanding of the topics covered in the course, which include electric and magnetic fields, electrical circuits, and optics. They are comfortable with soldering but have not built anything yet and are looking to combine theory with practical electronics. Suggestions for projects include building a solar-energy collector or a telescope.
astroman707
I'm finishing up physics 2(intro E&M) at my college, and I'd like to apply the concepts I learned in it over the summer. I was considering working through an electronics book, or building a radio, etc.
What kind of projects or books do you recommend to cement some of the topics I learned in a practical way?

**Edit**
Topics covered in the calc-based physics two class are:
Electric force and electric charge
Electric Field
Gauss law
Electrostatic potential and energy
capacitors and dielectric
current and ohm's law
direct current circuits
magnetic force and field
charges and currents in magnetic fields
electromagnetic induction
alternating current circuits
electromagnetic waves/maxwell's equations
reflection, refraction, and optics
interference and diffraction

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Building a radio receiver would be fun and instructive. You can start with a simple kit, or look up some schematics and build one from scratch on your own, depending on how comfortable you are with building electronics prototypes. What have you built so far?

Can you post a list of the topics covered in that course?

astroman707 said:
all the topics
At the college where I taught, "Physics 2" (actually a different number, of course, but I assume you mean second term of intro physics) covered thermodynamics, electric and magnetic fields, electrical circuits, and optics. It would be a challenge to combine them into one project!

Maybe build a solar-energy collector? Or a telescope?

berkeman said:
Building a radio receiver would be fun and instructive. You can start with a simple kit, or look up some schematics and build one from scratch on your own, depending on how comfortable you are with building electronics prototypes. What have you built so far?

Can you post a list of the topics covered in that course?
I've updated the post to reflect all the topics we learned. I actually haven't built anything, but I do know how to solder. I really want to learn more about electronics, but I want to tie it into the material I learned in phys 2. Basically, I'm looking for a way to combine the theory I learned, with practical electronics and such.
Thanks!

jtbell said:
At the college where I taught, "Physics 2" (actually a different number, of course, but I assume you mean second term of intro physics) covered thermodynamics, electric and magnetic fields, electrical circuits, and optics. It would be a challenge to combine them into one project!

Maybe build a solar-energy collector? Or a telescope?
That makes sense. I wasn't very clear. I wasn't necessarily looking for one project that encompasses everything. But perhaps, a few projects that cover a fair spread of the material I learned.

1. How can I apply the concepts learned in physics 2 to real-world problems?

One of the best ways to apply the concepts learned in physics 2 is to practice solving problems that involve real-world scenarios. This will help you understand how the concepts can be used in practical situations and improve your problem-solving skills.

2. What are some effective study techniques for mastering the concepts in physics 2?

Some effective study techniques for mastering the concepts in physics 2 include practicing problem-solving, reviewing lecture notes and textbook material, and working through practice exams. It is also helpful to seek help from a tutor or study group if needed.

3. How can I improve my understanding of complex equations and formulas in physics 2?

One way to improve your understanding of complex equations and formulas in physics 2 is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also create visual representations or diagrams to help you visualize the concepts and their relationships.

4. What are some real-life applications of the concepts learned in physics 2?

The concepts learned in physics 2 have many real-life applications, such as understanding the principles of electricity and magnetism for designing electronic devices, using principles of motion and forces for designing vehicles and structures, and applying thermodynamics to understand and improve energy efficiency.

5. How can I continue to apply and build upon the concepts learned in physics 2 after the course is over?

To continue applying and building upon the concepts learned in physics 2, you can stay updated on current research and developments in the field, participate in physics-related projects or competitions, and continue to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills in everyday situations.