What's the most you've cancelled an appointment

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of constantly canceling appointments, whether for dental visits, doctors' appointments, or meetings. While it may be common, it is not considered normal behavior and can have a negative impact on one's self-esteem and reputation. It is important to try and be punctual and responsible, as it reflects good character. The conversation also mentions that service providers have become accustomed to dealing with frequent cancellations, but the real cost lies in the impact on one's self-esteem.
kyphysics
I recently canceled a dental appointment for the third time (and post-poned about 30 days).

It was pretty embarrassing to have to do that and yet the staff were super gracious and didn't even charge me the cancellation fee.

I'm also a serial cancel-er. Stuff changes by the time of my appointments with people and I'm always changing the dates a few days before. Is that normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
I recently canceled a dental appointment for the third time (and post-poned about 30 days).

It was pretty embarrassing to have to do that and yet the staff were super gracious and didn't even charge me the cancellation fee.

I'm also a serial cancel-er. Stuff changes by the time of my appointments with people and I'm always changing the dates a few days before. Is that normal?
I think it is common, but not normal.
Coincidentally, I have a doctors appt this morning. One that my doctor's office has canceled three times. But this time, it's only 2 hours away and they still haven't canceled it.

I try my best not to cancel plans unless it's very legitimate. It uncomfortable for me.

Likes davenn
kyphysics said:

In all honesty, I sympathize with you. I have had this problem myself for a long time, but I've gotten much better at it recently. A big part of the reason is that, at my new job, the lab director is very strict on people showing up for the lab meeting and being on time. As you can relate to, for decades past, I was always the one showing up 20 minutes late, calling in and canceling with some lame excuse, or probably most often just not showing up at all and not being apologetic about it.

I like it better now, though, that I have some responsibility and some project that I love to hold me accountable. At the end of the day, you may find a way out of tardiness by being forced into it as I was, but the better route is to get ahead of it and try to make it a principle of character. It shows good character to show up on time or even early and it shows bad character to show up late (unless it's fashionably late as in a cocktail party, but that's a different subject) :biggrin:

As far as dental, medical, spa treatment appointments, etc. It's the same thing. They've gotten used to flakes so they are good accounting for this and putting on a brave face. But again, as I stated above, the real issue is the tax to your self esteem that matters, not really the $50 or whatever cancellation fee, etc. Greg's post kind of alludes to this.

DiracPool said:
I like it better now, though, that I have some responsibility and some project that I love to hold me accountable. At the end of the day, you may find a way out of tardiness by being forced into it as I was, but the better route is to get ahead of it and try to make it a principle of character. It shows good character to show up on time or even early and it shows bad character to show up late
Yes. The same idea holds for meetings. If you consistently show up late to meetings, the implied message is that your time is more important than that of the other people who showed up on time, and who have to wait for you.

What's the most you've cancelled an appointment?

The most I've cancelled an appointment is three times. I try to avoid cancelling appointments as much as possible and only do so in case of emergency or unavoidable circumstances.

Why do you cancel appointments?

I only cancel appointments in case of emergency or unavoidable circumstances. As a scientist, my research and experiments often require my full attention and sometimes unexpected developments may arise that require me to reschedule appointments.

Do you have a policy for cancelling appointments?

Yes, I have a policy for cancelling appointments. I try to give as much notice as possible and reschedule the appointment at a convenient time for both parties. If the cancellation is due to a personal emergency, I will inform the person as soon as possible and try to find a suitable alternative.

How do you ensure that you don't cancel appointments frequently?

I prioritize my work and schedule my appointments accordingly to minimize the chances of cancelling. I also communicate clearly with the other party to avoid any misunderstandings and try to be proactive in finding alternative solutions if any conflicts arise.

What should I do if my appointment with you gets cancelled?

If your appointment with me gets cancelled, I will inform you as soon as possible and try to find a suitable alternative. If the cancellation is due to a personal emergency, I will try to reschedule at a convenient time for both parties. I apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.