What's the name of the wavefxn int. showing normalizability?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Zacarias Nason
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Zacarias Nason
Messages
67
Reaction score
4
This is just a nomenclature thing; I'm aware that when dealing with the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}|\psi(x,t)|^2 dx = 1[/tex]

that the integrand is the wavefunction, the wavefunction must be normalizable for it to be viewed as a probability density, it's referred to as the state of the particle, it needs to be square integrable, etc...but what is the name for this overall expression on the LHS, integral and all? I'm guessing it has a name and somewhere I missed it or lost it in my mind.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the squared norm of the L2 vector describing a pure quantum state in the wave mechanics of Erwin Schrödinger.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Zacarias Nason