What causes materials to heat up when energy is converted?

• Thread starter bubakazouba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary: Thanks for the clarification.I think it means that the radio waves would just go right into the receiver without being reflected or scattered and without producing any heat. That would be an amazing technology!In summary, an antena is able to absorb a radio signal without producing any heat.
bubakazouba
no its not a homework question it was in a quiz but i believe the teacher is wrong about it
materials are heated when they absorb:
-electromagnetic radiation of any type
-infrared radiation only
-microwaves and infrared only

please choose and explain
Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
What was your answer? Explain.

my answer was a)electromagnetic radiation of any type
I am in grade 10 IGCSE I don't have a lot of background in physics but I thought that visible light(which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum)is able to heat objects
like in lamps
and in nuclear fission when gamma radiation is emitted from the U-236 nuclei it heats the water to produce steam that runs the generator

That would be my answer too.

It is true that some materials are transparent to certain frequencies of radiation. But if that were true, then one would not say that the material absorbed that frequency.

So if it's absorbed at all, it will result in a rise in temperature.

Thanks for your quick reply

Last edited:
Your teacher may be thinking of examples like how a glass window is not heated by visible light. Well, that's because the light passes through the window; it is not absorbed.

And the question as you wrote it specifically says "absorbed".

I believe that will simplify many things,the question really did say "absorbed"
Man thanks a lot
and sorry for my poor english

A superconducting antena could absorb a radio signal without heating up. The energy would be passed along to the reciever without loss so energy in = energy out.

This opens up a debate about what constitutes "absorption". Does an antena absorb the radio wave and produce an electrical output or does it focus energy on the reciever like a lense or mirror?

mrspeedybob said:
A superconducting antena could absorb a radio signal without heating up. The energy would be passed along to the reciever without loss so energy in = energy out.

This opens up a debate about what constitutes "absorption". Does an antena absorb the radio wave and produce an electrical output or does it focus energy on the reciever like a lense or mirror?

The antenna itself would not absorb energy - the load to which it was connected would, however. If there were no resistive element involved, the EM would just be reflected / scattered. The whole receiving apparatus would not (could not - by definition) be a superconductor.

guys I am lost
what does that mean?

They were hypothesizing about some perfectly efficient way of converting radio waves into electrical energy without losing energy to heat. But, for all practical purposes, we always get some heat when we convert energy from one form to another.

Related to What causes materials to heat up when energy is converted?

1. When does a material undergo thermal expansion?

Materials tend to expand when heated and contract when cooled. This phenomenon, known as thermal expansion, occurs due to the increased kinetic energy of the atoms in the material when heated. The amount of expansion depends on the material's coefficient of thermal expansion and the change in temperature.

2. What happens to the properties of a material when it is heated?

When a material is heated, its properties can change in various ways. For instance, the material's dimensions may change due to thermal expansion, its electrical resistivity may increase, and its strength may decrease. The specific changes in properties depend on the type and composition of the material.

3. How do you determine the temperature at which a material will melt?

The temperature at which a material will melt, also known as its melting point, can be determined through various techniques such as differential scanning calorimetry or thermogravimetric analysis. These methods involve heating the material while measuring its physical and chemical changes to determine the point at which it transitions from a solid to a liquid state.

4. Can materials be overheated?

Yes, materials can be overheated. When a material is heated beyond its melting point, it can reach a superheated state where it remains in a liquid state even though its temperature is above its melting point. In some cases, this can lead to dangerous and explosive reactions. It is important to carefully monitor the temperature of materials during heating to prevent overheating.

5. What are the different methods of heating materials?

There are several methods of heating materials, including conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction involves direct contact with a heat source, convection involves the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, and radiation involves the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. The most appropriate method depends on the properties of the material and the desired rate of heating.