So, the question could be: When does slipping occur on a car?

• Thread starter candymountain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slipping
In summary, slipping occurs when the force applied to an object is greater than the force of friction, causing it to lose traction and possibly accelerate or decelerate. This can happen on both flat surfaces and inclined planes, depending on the relative strengths of the applied force and frictional force. Other factors such as torque may also contribute to slipping.
candymountain
So I am trying to figure out under what circumstances slipping usually occur, and what causes it to occur.

lets assume we have a cart, and there is a static friction mu between the surface and the wheel.

let's say the cart is being pushed at F horitonztally. Fs, force of friction, obviously opposes the motion.

So my question is, when does skipping occur?

is it when l F - Fs l <= Fs ? Also what causes slipping? is it too much torque supplied? are there any other cases in which slipping can occur?

thanks a lot :)

candy~

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you said ( what's |F-Fs| <=Fs)

But I would think slipping occurs when Fhorizontal > Ffriction

Ie the ground cannot stop your relative motion.
Since you need relative motion at the point to stop for rolling ( and walking incidentally) rolling doesn't occur

Slipping could occur when the force exerted on the floor with the wheels is greater than the force of friction. [The applied force is greater than frictional force.] That would could friction to decrease.

wouldn't that mean the object would accelerate? I'm really confused

It could decelerate or accelerate, which is it slowing down at an increasing speed, or increasing at an increasing speed, but it depends on the amount of frictional force versus the amount of applied force.

... then how does it slip..?

Is this object on an inclined plane or on a flat surface?
If it is on an inclined plane then it depends on the amount of frictional force versus the applied force. If the applied force pushing it down the inclined plane is greater than the frictional force trying to not push it down, it will "slip".

in my case i have a car going on a flat surface for few meters, then goes up a ramp.

does slipping occur when it rolls down(when it tries to go up)? i.e. friction force > F applied?

Does the car keep a constant speed?
Slipping on the ramp [inclined plane] would occur when the force applied is less than the force of friction.

well there's a constant force aplied to the car, so its accelerating.

oh okay, so how does the flat surface slipping works

Well a car cannot be constant and accelerate at the same time. If there is a constant force being applied before it goes up the ramp, it could change when it reaches the ramp and goes up. To have a constant force going up the ramp, or on a flat surface, the force applied [pushing the car] would have to be equal to the force of friction. If the force of friction is greater than the force applied then the car would decelerate [slow down at an increasing speed] or slow down at a constant speed. If the force applied is greater then the car would accelerate [speed up at an increasing speed], or speed up at a constant speed.

1. When does slipping occur on a flat surface?

Slipping occurs on a flat surface when there is not enough friction between the surface and the object/person moving across it. This can happen due to various factors such as the type of surface, the weight and material of the object/person, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surface.

2. What causes slipping on a wet surface?

Slipping on a wet surface is caused by a decrease in friction due to the presence of water. Water acts as a lubricant and reduces the contact between the surface and the object/person, making it easier for the object/person to slide or slip. This can also be exacerbated by the type of surface, the speed of movement, and the angle of the surface.

3. How can I prevent slipping on icy surfaces?

To prevent slipping on icy surfaces, it is important to wear appropriate footwear with good traction and grip. You can also use ice cleats or traction aids that can be attached to your shoes. Walking slowly and carefully, and avoiding sudden movements can also help prevent slipping on icy surfaces.

4. Can slipping cause injuries?

Yes, slipping can cause injuries such as sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures. The severity of the injury depends on factors such as the speed of movement, the angle of the surface, and the nature of the surface. In some cases, slipping can also lead to serious injuries such as concussions or spinal cord injuries.

5. How can I improve the friction on a slippery surface?

There are several ways to improve friction on a slippery surface. One way is to increase the roughness of the surface by adding materials such as sand, grit, or rubber. Another way is to add coatings or treatments that can increase the grip on the surface. Additionally, keeping the surface clean and dry can also help improve friction and prevent slipping.