When finding Magnetic Field between two wires

In summary, the magnetic field strength at the midpoint between two parallel conductors carrying 10 A of current in opposite directions, with a distance of 1.0 cm between them, is doubled and has a value of μI/2πr, where r is the perpendicular distance from the wire to the point of field measurement, which in this case is 0.005 m. The answer in the book, with r = 0.01 m, is incorrect.
mistermill

Homework Statement

11. Two parallel conductors, 1.0 cm apart, each carry 10 A of current in opposite directions. What is the magnetic field strength at the midpoint between these wires?

Homework Equations

B = μI/ 2πr

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the magnetic field is doubled because the currents are in opposite directions.

Should r = 0.01 m or 0.005 m?

Is the r the distance between the two wires? I thought that r is the perpendicular distance from the wire to the point of field measurement, so that would mean 0.005 m.

I think the answer in my book is wrong, because it has r = 0.01 m.

Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, mistermill.

You are correct. r is the perpendicular distance from the wire to the field point. So, r = .005 m for each current.

Related to When finding Magnetic Field between two wires

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field between two wires?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field between two wires is given by the Biot-Savart Law, which states that the magnetic field (B) at a point is directly proportional to the product of the current (I) in the wire and the length of the wire (l) and inversely proportional to the distance (r) from the point to the wire. The equation is B = μ₀I / 2πr, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space.

2. How does the direction of the current in the wires affect the magnetic field?

The direction of the current in the wires affects the direction of the magnetic field. If the currents are in the same direction, the magnetic fields will add together, resulting in a stronger magnetic field between the wires. If the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker magnetic field between the wires.

3. Can the distance between the wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the distance between the wires can affect the strength of the magnetic field. According to the Biot-Savart Law, the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases and vice versa.

4. How does the current in one wire affect the magnetic field in the other wire?

The current in one wire can induce a magnetic field in the other wire due to electromagnetic induction. This means that the magnetic field in one wire can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field in the other wire. This is known as mutual induction and is the basis for many electrical devices, such as transformers.

5. Is the magnetic field between two wires affected by the material of the wires?

Yes, the material of the wires can affect the magnetic field between them. This is because the permeability (μ) of a material determines how easily it can be magnetized. Materials with higher permeability, such as iron, will have a stronger magnetic field between them compared to materials with lower permeability, such as copper.