Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When good writers go bad.

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to serve jury duty today, which meant sitting in a jury assembly room all day waiting to be called to a court room. (Luckily. they decided that they wouldn't need any jurors and sent us all home early.)

I had come prepared for a long siege as I had bought a new paperback novel to read. The author was one whose previous books I had enjoyed. He is James P. Hogan, and he had written some fairly decent hard SF (One of my favorites is The Code of the Lifemaker).

A hadn't read any of his work for while, and I was kind of interested to see what he'd come up with.

Boy, what a shock! Its just brimming with crackpottery! Velikovskyism, Plasma universe/electric sun, "spinning ring" model of sub-atomic particles,...

Now I understand that a Science Fiction writer has to bend the rules from time to time to tell his story and sometimes has to incorporate some controversial concepts, but he is out and out preaching for these ideas. He even incorporates the time-worn complaint of crackpots everywhere that scientists are too interested to protecting the "status quo" to accept new ideas.

What could make a writer go off the deep end like this? And have you ever had it happen to you? Has a writer you liked ever start producing junk?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

William Gibson's recent books have been Douglas Coupland style lifestyle articles than sf.
    Larry Niven and the new Ringworld books ?

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Didn't L. Ron Hubbard go a little nutty towards the end?

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know if Hubbard was ever playing with a completely full deck.
    His first article on Dianetics came out in 1949, when he was only 38.

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure if he qualifies as a "good writer" either.

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6
    That's why I like Sci Fi that is fairly vague. They got a teleporter to work. Good for them. I don't care how.

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That means it is not science fiction. It is some other genre, but set in the future.

9. Apr 24, 2008 #8
    Yup, I guess Star Wars, Star Trek, and Dune aren't Science Fiction. It's a good thing you're here to tell me these things.

10. Apr 24, 2008 #9
    Well, up until this post of yours..................... :wink: :tongue2:

11. Apr 25, 2008 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Star Wars is not Science Fiction; it is Space Fantasy. The reason it's Space Fantasy is precisely because the "science" is irrelevant to the story. The ships and gadgets could be powered by bunnies hopped up on Red Bull and it wouldn't change the story one bit. We don't know or care how the hyperdrive, light sabres, force fields or any other such technology works, we just take it as a given that it does.

Star Trek is science fiction because it does care about the technology - the science - (well, at least, it tries to). It is important that the core aspects of story are consistent and explainable. (Let's not quibble on details - of course there's a range, and not all of it is science).

Here's a quick way to spot the difference: you don't ever hear anyone pointing at Star Wars and saying "Hey, that could never happen!"

As for Dune, I'll abstain.

In the larger scheme of things, anything that is remotely futuristic is lumped under science fiction, but to those care care to be accurate (many writers in the field), it's an important distinction.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?