When I analyze elliptical polarization using a linear polarizer....

In summary: The phase of an elliptical polarization state can be computed using the circular coordinates that describe the ellipse. Then, the intensity of the polarization state can be computed using the linear polarizer. However, the intensity of the polarization state will be weird if you try to plot the ellipse using the data from the experiment.
Pattarasak
hello everyone,I want to construct the elliptical polarization in Jones's Matrix form . So, I use the linear polarizer to analyze this polarization. where the Intensity ,which obtain by using the linear polarizer,come from? by integrating overall angle or the other way ?

Science news on Phys.org
Pattarasak said:
hello everyone,I want to construct the elliptical polarization in Jones's Matrix form . So, I use the linear polarizer to analyze this polarization. where the Intensity ,which obtain by using the linear polarizer,come from? by integrating overall angle or the other way ?

Not really sure what you are trying to do- a measurement or just write down some formulas- but you are already headed for trouble. The Jones calculus is a description of the electric field, not the intensity. If you want the intensity, you have to 'square' the Jones vector.

The Jones vector for an elliptical polarization state is easily constructed, for either linear or circular basis states, once you specify the four parameters needed to define the ellipse. Then, if you want to compute what happens when elliptically polarized light is transmitted through a linear polarizer (or any other polarization optical element), you simply multiply the Jones vector and Jones matrix for the element.

On the other hand, if this is a measurement, you shouldn't be using the Jones calculus since you can't measure the field. In this case, you should be using the Mueller calculus/Stokes vector to model the process.

Andy Resnick said:
The Jones vector for an elliptical polarization state is easily constructed, for either linear or circular basis states, once you specify the four parameters needed to define the ellipse. Then, if you want to compute what happens when elliptically polarized light is transmitted through a linear polarizer (or any other polarization optical element), you simply multiply the Jones vector and Jones matrix for the element.
thank for yours answer.But the actually thing that i want to do is experiment to construct the arbitrary elliptical polarization in matrix form e.g. : [1 , 1+.021354i ]. So, i want to know the phase of this polarization (exp[i theta]) then i use the linear polarizer to analyze this polarization. However the result from this experiment is very weird (Because i can't plot the ellipse by using this data). So, i just confuse in the Intensity ,which is the outcome when the elliptical polarization pass through a linear analyzer.

1. What is elliptical polarization?

Elliptical polarization is a type of polarization where the electric field of a light wave vibrates in an elliptical pattern instead of a linear pattern.

2. How is elliptical polarization different from linear polarization?

In linear polarization, the electric field of a light wave vibrates in a single plane. In elliptical polarization, the electric field vibrates in an elliptical pattern with varying amplitudes and phases.

3. How can I analyze elliptical polarization using a linear polarizer?

To analyze elliptical polarization using a linear polarizer, place the polarizer in the path of the light wave and rotate it until the intensity of the light passing through is at its minimum. The angle at which this occurs can indicate the degree of elliptical polarization.

4. Why is analyzing elliptical polarization important in scientific research?

Analyzing elliptical polarization can provide valuable information about the properties of light and the materials through which it passes. It can also be used in various applications such as in optical devices and communication systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a linear polarizer to analyze elliptical polarization?

Yes, there are limitations to using a linear polarizer to analyze elliptical polarization. Linear polarizers can only detect the degree of ellipticity, but not the orientation of the ellipse. To determine the orientation, a circular polarizer or other specialized equipment may be needed.