When I do the math, GPE does not equal KE after an object drops.

• Thread starter ozarklg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpe
In summary, the teacher was investigating whether GPE before an object falls = KE at the point the object hits the ground. This was a pretty crude activity involving dropping things out the window and timing with stop watches, so when the data didn't look very good, she wasn't surprised. Later, she got to wondering what the velocity should have been, so she calculated the velocity using the distance the object fell and g. Then when she calculated KE using a mass of 1 kg and PE using a weight of 9.8 N, the KE was ½ what it should have been----or the PE was twice what the KE was. She is no physicist, and she feels dazed and confused. Help please.
ozarklg
I teach 9th grade physical science, and we were doing an activity last week investigating whether GPE before an object falls = KE at the point the object hits the ground. This was a pretty crude activity involving dropping things out the window and timing with stop watches, so when the data didn’t look very good, I was not surprised. We were solving for velocity. Later, I got to wondering what the velocity should have been, so I calculated the velocity using the distance the object fell and g. Then when I calculated KE using a mass of 1 kg and PE using a weight of 9.8 N, the KE was ½ what it should have been----or the PE was twice what the KE was. I am no physicist, and I feel dazed and confused. Help please. We were dropping from ledge 6 meters off the ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show the details of your calculation.

At 6 meters, you should be getting about 58.8 Joules/Kg which would give a velocity of about 10.8 m/s. Are these the values you are getting/measuring?

Okay. I set this up on Excel, and I may have messed up. I put in an equation first to solve for change in velocity considering acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s2) x time. Then I made a column for time, which I kept changing until I got the distance I wanted (6.045m)using the equation distance = velocity x time. I know this is crude, but I don't have a physics book with an equation to solve for distance, so I thought this would work. But apparently not.

I came up with 7.7 m/s for this distance of fall with a time of 0.78 seconds.

ozarklg said:
I put in an equation first to solve for change in velocity considering acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s2) x time.
That equation gives you the final speed after the given amount of time.
Then I made a column for time, which I kept changing until I got the distance I wanted (6.045m)using the equation distance = velocity x time.
Distance = velocity x time only works if the speed is constant or if you use the average velocity. Since you start from rest, the average speed is just half of your final speed. That's your problem.

Thank you so much. This was making me crazy!

Ok, I think I see your problem.

You didn't use

[tex]d=v_{i} t + \frac{a t^{2}}{2}[/tex]

for your distance formula.

Solving for t with no initial velocity gives

[tex]t=\sqrt{\frac{2 d}{a}}[/tex]

With a distance of 6 meters and an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 it gives a fall time of about 1.1 seconds. Plugging that into [tex]v=a t[/tex] will give a final velocity of about 10.8 m/s.

[Edit]

Yeah, what Doc Al said.

To check that initial GPE equals final KE, there's no need to refer to time at all.
The formula that gives the final speed is
v_f ^2 = v_i ^2 + 2as.
Dropping from rest, initial speed v_i = 0,
v_f ^2 = 2as.
v_f = sqrt [2as]
a = 9.8 m/s^2.
s = 6 m.

1. Why does GPE not equal KE after an object drops?

This is because energy is not created or destroyed, it only changes forms. When an object is dropped, it loses potential energy (GPE) as it falls and gains kinetic energy (KE) due to its motion. Therefore, GPE does not equal KE at any given point, but the total energy of the object remains constant.

2. How is GPE and KE related?

GPE and KE are both forms of energy and are related by the law of conservation of energy. As an object gains height and potential energy, it loses speed and kinetic energy. When the object is dropped, it loses potential energy and gains kinetic energy as it falls.

3. Is there any way to calculate GPE and KE accurately?

Yes, GPE is calculated using the formula mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. KE is calculated using the formula 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity of the object.

4. Can GPE and KE be equal at any point?

Yes, at the highest point of an object's trajectory, its GPE will be at its maximum while its KE will be at its minimum. This is because the object has the most potential energy when it has reached its highest point, but it has no kinetic energy because it has momentarily stopped moving.

5. What factors can affect the difference between GPE and KE after an object drops?

The main factors that can affect the difference between GPE and KE after an object drops are air resistance and the height from which the object is dropped. If there is significant air resistance, it can decrease the speed and therefore the kinetic energy of the object as it falls. Additionally, the higher the object is dropped from, the greater the difference between GPE and KE will be due to the increased potential energy at a higher height.