When to consider yielding vs. rupture as a mode of failure?

In summary: Creep is a phenomenon where the material expands slightly under constant loading, and this can cause parts of the component to fail.
WatermelonPig
Are there any general rules of thumb for which to choose? I have a lot of ambigous HW problems which don't specify, they just list a safety factor. For example, if I have a mass hanging on a metal wire with a specified safety factor, then I mean it will buckle at the yield strengh but only rupture at the ultimate strengh. Is it really just discretionary?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general yielding is not the same as failure. Some types of engineering components made from ductile materials are intentionally stressed beyond the yield point. Brittle materials often fail in fracture initiated by internal micro-cracks, poor surface finish, etc, before they yield.

For homework questions, you probably want to apply the safety factor to the ultimate stress. In a real life design situation, the design criteria should not be ambiguous, and for safety-crifical items they will often be taken from national or international standards..

For example, if I have a mass hanging on a metal wire with a specified safety factor, then I mean it will buckle at the yield strengh
Two comments on that.
1. If the wire is in tension, it won't buckle at all, in the standard engineering meaning of the word buckle.
2. Buckling loads depend on the geometry of the component and Young's modulus, not on the strength of the material. The stress level for buckling can be orders of magnitude smaller than the yield or ultimate stress.

it won't buckle at the yield strength, the yield strength denotes the onset of plastic deformation. failure only occurs at the UTS. In that sense I don't think yielding can ever be considered a failure mode. It can lead to things like fatigue which is a failure mode due to cyclic loading and also creep failure under constant loading with a constant strain rate.
Yielding is when something no longer deforms elastically, but deforms plastically which is irreversible and causes a permanent strain in the material.

1. When does a material yield instead of rupturing?

A material will yield when the applied stress is below its yield strength. This means that the material can still return to its original shape after the stress is removed.

2. What factors determine whether a material will yield or rupture?

The main factors that determine whether a material will yield or rupture are its strength, ductility, and the magnitude and duration of the applied stress. A material with high strength and ductility is more likely to yield, while a material with low strength and ductility is more likely to rupture.

3. How do engineers determine when a material will yield or rupture?

Engineers use various tests, such as tensile tests, to determine the yield strength and ultimate strength of a material. They also consider the material's ductility and the expected stress and strain under different conditions to predict whether it will yield or rupture.

4. Is yielding always a better outcome than rupture?

Not necessarily. While yielding can be advantageous in some situations, such as in structures that require some flexibility, it can also lead to permanent deformation and failure in other cases. Rupture, on the other hand, often occurs abruptly and without warning, which can be dangerous.

5. Can a material that has previously yielded still rupture?

Yes, a material that has previously yielded can still rupture under high enough stress or if it is exposed to certain environmental factors. Yielding does not make a material immune to rupture, but it can provide some indication of its strength and ductility under certain conditions.