When to use the law of cosines?

• Thread starter student1856
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the law of cosines can be used to find the distance between two points when the angle between them is not 90 degrees, but it can also be proven using vector subtraction and the dot product.
student1856
In Griffith's Introduction to electrodynamics, he uses a cursive r as the distance between a charge and a test point. most of the time to find this distance we subtract the two position vectors and find the magnitude, but occasionally we use the law of cosines. Now yes I know we use the law of cosines when the angle is not 90 degrees in statics problems. So I assumed that was the indicator to when to use the law of cosines. However immediately after assuming this, we just subtracted a second set of vectors and found the magnitude of two vectors that didnt make a right triangle. Can someone just very clearly and slowly tell me when to use the law of cosines, and when i can just subtract two vectors and find the magnitude?

Physics news on Phys.org
student1856 said:
In Griffith's Introduction to electrodynamics, he uses a cursive r as the distance between a charge and a test point. most of the time to find this distance we subtract the two position vectors and find the magnitude, but occasionally we use the law of cosines. Now yes I know we use the law of cosines when the angle is not 90 degrees in statics problems. So I assumed that was the indicator to when to use the law of cosines. However immediately after assuming this, we just subtracted a second set of vectors and found the magnitude of two vectors that didnt make a right triangle. Can someone just very clearly and slowly tell me when to use the law of cosines, and when i can just subtract two vectors and find the magnitude?
It's not clear what you are talking about here.

If you subtract two position vectors, you're going to wind up with a third vector, not a magnitude.

If you can provide some clear examples of what confuses you, for those of us who may not have a copy of Griffith's, that would be helpful.

You can always just subtract two vectors and find the magnitude. You can even prove the law of cosines that way. Let ## \mathbf{A} ## and ##\mathbf{B}## be vectors. Then ## (\mathbf{A}-\mathbf{B})\cdot(\mathbf{A}-\mathbf{B}) = | \mathbf{A} - \mathbf{B} |^2 = A^2 + B^2 - 2AB\cos \theta ##, where ## \theta ## is the angle between the vectors when they are placed tail-to-tail. From a picture of the triangle formed from ## \mathbf{A} ##, ## \mathbf{B} ##, and ## \mathbf{A}-\mathbf{B} ##, we recognize this equation as none other than the law of cosines.

Likes davidbenari
of course the fact you are apparently using that A.B = |A||B| cos(theta) is equivalent to the law of cosines.

1. When is the law of cosines used?

The law of cosines is used when solving a triangle with three known sides or two known sides and an angle opposite one of the sides. It is also used when finding the length of a missing side or the measure of a missing angle in a triangle.

2. What is the formula for the law of cosines?

The formula for the law of cosines is c² = a² + b² - 2abcos(C), where c is the side opposite the angle C, and a and b are the other two sides of the triangle. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for any of the variables.

3. How is the law of cosines different from the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while the law of cosines is used to find the length of any side in a triangle. The Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles, while the law of cosines can be used for any type of triangle.

4. Can the law of cosines be used to find the area of a triangle?

No, the law of cosines cannot be used to find the area of a triangle. It only helps to find the length of the sides or the measure of the angles in a triangle.

5. Are there any limitations to using the law of cosines?

Yes, the law of cosines cannot be used when the triangle has two known angles and a side opposite one of the angles. It also cannot be used if all three sides of the triangle are known, as there would be no unknown variables to solve for. Additionally, the law of cosines may not provide an accurate solution for very small or very large angles due to rounding errors.