When will I hear this ball strike the ground?

In summary, the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground is primarily affected by the initial velocity and the force of gravity. The equation t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g can be used to calculate this time, where t is time, v is initial velocity, θ is the angle of throw, and g is acceleration due to gravity. The mass of the ball does not affect the time, but air resistance can have a significant impact. The equation can also be used for any object in free fall.
myoplex11

Homework Statement

you drop a ball over the edge of a 350m high cliff. If T=15 deg celcius when will hear it strike the ground?

Homework Equations

time=distance/speed

The Attempt at a Solution

do i just divide the 350m by the speed of sound in air at 15 deg celcius?

Physics news on Phys.org
myoplex11 said:
do i just divide the 350m by the speed of sound in air at 15 deg celcius?

Hi myoplex11!

Yes, just add that to the time for the ball to fall. :smile:

I am unable to provide an exact answer without knowing the exact speed of sound at 15 degrees Celsius. However, we can make an approximation using the formula provided. Assuming the speed of sound at 15 degrees Celsius is approximately 340 m/s, it would take approximately 1.03 seconds for the ball to hit the ground (350m/340 m/s). This is assuming there is no air resistance and the ball falls straight down. However, it is important to note that the actual time may vary slightly due to factors such as air resistance and the shape of the ball.

1. What factors affect the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground?

The time it takes for a ball to hit the ground is primarily affected by two factors: the initial velocity of the ball and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the ball may also have a minor impact.

2. How do I calculate the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground?

The time it takes for a ball to hit the ground can be calculated using the equation t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g, where t is time, v is the initial velocity of the ball, θ is the angle at which the ball is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. Does the mass of the ball affect the time it takes to hit the ground?

No, the mass of the ball does not affect the time it takes to hit the ground. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects regardless of their mass.

4. How does air resistance impact the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the time it takes for a ball to hit the ground. The greater the air resistance, the longer it will take for the ball to fall due to the opposing force of air pushing against it. This is why objects with greater surface area, such as a feather, take longer to fall than objects with smaller surface area, such as a rock.

5. Can I use the same equation to calculate the time it takes for any object to hit the ground?

Yes, the equation t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g can be used to calculate the time it takes for any object to hit the ground, as long as the initial velocity and the angle at which the object is thrown are known. This equation is known as the time of flight equation and is applicable to objects in free fall.