Where are the Best Destinations for Nanotechnology Excursions Outside Europe?

In summary, the group is planning a three-week excursion for nanotechnology students outside of Europe. They are interested in visiting countries like Japan or the US, specifically in California or New York, but are also open to other options. The group discusses the definition of nanotechnology and its current limitations in controlling matter at the atomic and molecular scale. They mention that most of the work being done in nanotechnology is in the field of chemistry, particularly with molecular motors. They also mention the use of scanning probe techniques, but note that it is still a niche area. One member suggests that nanotechnology is "huge" in "femto-land" and invites the others to visit the London Centre for Nanotechnology.
superwolf
Hi

I'm member of a group planning an excursion for nanotechnology students, preferably outside Europe. The trip will last three weeks, including five days with content relevant to micro or nanotechnology. Japan is an obvious alternative, the same is the US (maybe California or NY?), but are there other options?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "nanotechnology"?
The word means different things to different people and is nowadays used to describe everything from biochemistry to deodorants.

Everything that involves controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale.

That narrows it down quite a bit. We are still not very good at controlling matter at that scale; there are well-developed methods that work well down to a few tens of nm but below that you run into all sorts of problems.
Most of the work being done at the "real" nm scale is more chemistry than physics (and much of it has been around for a long time, they just didn't call it nanotechnology).
An obvious example would be "molecular motors" etc. There has also been some limited success controlling matter using scanning probe techniques (AFM and STM), that work is interesting but can not really be scaled up.

Don't get me wrong; work IS being done but it is still very much a small niche and it isn't really "huge" anywhere.

superwolf said:
Where is nanotechnology huge?
:smile: Like large-scale miniaturization?

f95toli said:
Don't get me wrong; work IS being done but it is still very much a small niche and it isn't really "huge" anywhere.

OK, but anyway we are going somewhere, so where is work being done?

jimmysnyder said:
:smile: Like large-scale miniaturization?

I was thinking, nanotechnology is huge in femto-land.

I'm in the london centre for nanotechnology, pop by. I'll show you my scanning probe

Related to Where are the Best Destinations for Nanotechnology Excursions Outside Europe?

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a branch of science that deals with the manipulation and control of matter on a molecular or atomic scale. It involves creating and using materials and structures at the nanoscale, which is one billionth of a meter.

2. Where is nanotechnology being used?

Nanotechnology is being used in a wide range of fields, including medicine, electronics, energy production, and environmental remediation. Some examples of applications include drug delivery systems, solar cells, and water filtration systems.

3. How big is the nanotechnology industry?

The nanotechnology industry is estimated to be worth billions of dollars and is expected to continue growing in the coming years. According to a report by Research and Markets, the global nanotechnology market is projected to reach $126.8 billion by 2027.

4. What are the potential benefits of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has the potential to revolutionize various industries and improve our daily lives in many ways. Some potential benefits include faster and more efficient drug delivery, more powerful and energy-efficient electronics, and improved environmental sustainability.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with nanotechnology?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks and concerns associated with nanotechnology. These include the unknown effects of nanoparticles on human health and the environment, as well as potential misuse for military or surveillance purposes. However, extensive research and regulations are in place to address these concerns and ensure the responsible use of nanotechnology.