Where can I find an extensive table of integrals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an exhaustive table of integrals and their solutions, specifically for the integral $$ \int_{-1}^{1} {\frac{\arcsin(x)}{(1+ax)^2}} dx , \quad 0<a<1 $$ The author suggests using computer software, such as Maxima or SageMath, which have built-in integration capabilities. The book also mentions the possibility of using the Handbook of Mathematical Functions, but notes that computer software is more efficient.
gulfcoastfella
Gold Member
I'm reading through an undergrad physics book, and the author says he looked up the answer to the below integral in a table. I've tried to find tables of integrals with this integral included in them, but have failed so far. Can someone direct me to an exhaustive table of integrals and their solutions? The integral in question follows:

$$ \int_{-1}^{1} {\frac{\arcsin(x)}{(1+ax)^2}} dx , \quad 0<a<1 $$

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~ib38/tmp/reading/Table_of_Integrals_Series_and_Products_Tablicy_Integralov_Summ_Rjadov_I_Proizvedennij_Engl._2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gulfcoastfella
Thank you Dr. Courtney, that's a great resource and I'll keep it bookmarked.

Dr. Courtney said:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~ib38/t...ralov_Summ_Rjadov_I_Proizvedennij_Engl._2.pdf

The link isn't working for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the author say anywhere in the book which table he used? The physics textbooks I've read tend to refer readers to which tables they were using cite their sources rather extensively.

Tables of integrals have been made obsolete by computer software. Maxima is free and open-source.

Code:
maxima -r "assume(a>0); assume(a<1); tex(integrate(asin(x)/(1+a*x)^2,x,-1,1));"

result: ##
-{{\pi\,\sqrt{1-a^2}+\pi\,a-\pi}\over{2\,a^3-2\,a}}-{{\pi\,\sqrt{1-
a^2}-\pi\,a-\pi}\over{2\,a^3-2\,a}}
##

Likes DevacDave
bcrowell said:
Tables of integrals have been made obsolete by computer software. Maxima is free and open-source.

Code:
maxima -r "assume(a>0); assume(a<1); tex(integrate(asin(x)/(1+a*x)^2,x,-1,1));"

result: ##
-{{\pi\,\sqrt{1-a^2}+\pi\,a-\pi}\over{2\,a^3-2\,a}}-{{\pi\,\sqrt{1-
a^2}-\pi\,a-\pi}\over{2\,a^3-2\,a}}
##

True and great point about Maxima. Although I must say that I've had found SageMath as something a bit more if not approachable than at least easier to build my own modules with. It's free and open source, just as Maxima, but written in Python instead of Common Lisp making the barrier to entry for people who like to get their hands dirty in internal code a lot lower.

However CAS and similar software still has a lot to 'learn' when it comes to integration, especially in domain of non-standard ODE and PDE. Hardly a week goes by where I'm not encountering a case that my colleagues and I can solve on paper via human laziness and tricks that makes Mathematica grid beg for more resources and mercy ;). Here is almost a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

@DevacDave - I believe Sage's facilities for integration are just a front end for Maxima.

Possibly, it's possible that they use same shared libraries that originate form Maxima or just use it shamelessly through some API. To be honest it has been a pretty long time since I was involved with Sage. I can't deny that I might have confused something or operate under obsolete information. I do recall attempt on independent integration engine on Sage part, but it would not surprise me if people would abandon it for sake of not reinventing the wheel ;).

Either way, both are really good; I'm just favouring and 'advertising' Sage because I'm using it more often. In the end, excuse possible mistake on my part. It was not intended as some badly disguised attempt on discrediting Maxima, just sloppy fact-checking on my part.

Abramowitz and Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, used to be pretty good but as noted above Maxima /Mathematica/Sage probably have most of the numerical results from it built in.

Related to Where can I find an extensive table of integrals?

1. What is an extensive table of integrals?

An extensive table of integrals is a comprehensive list of indefinite and definite integrals, including both elementary and advanced functions, that can be used to solve mathematical problems involving integration.

2. Why is it important to have an extensive table of integrals?

An extensive table of integrals can save time and effort in solving integrals, especially for complex functions. It also serves as a reference for students and professionals in the field of mathematics and science.

3. Where can I access an extensive table of integrals?

An extensive table of integrals can be found in many calculus textbooks and online resources. Some universities also provide their own tables of integrals for their students.

4. How do I use an extensive table of integrals?

To use an extensive table of integrals, you need to identify the function you want to integrate and look for a corresponding entry in the table. The table will provide the formula and any necessary constants or limits of integration.

5. Can I rely on an extensive table of integrals for all my integration needs?

No, an extensive table of integrals may not have every possible integration problem. It is important to also understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of integration to solve more complex problems.