Where Can I Find Visual Resources for Understanding Chemical Reactions?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding various concepts in chemistry, particularly reductions. They are seeking recommendations for a book with visual representations to aid in their understanding. They are also advised to wait until Physical Chemistry or Inorganic Chemistry for better understanding of catalysts, and to rely on laboratory exercises and a good textbook for learning about redox reactions.
MadmanMurray
I learn rapidly in physics and biology but there are a lot of areas in chemistry that I struggle with like mad because everythings explained so abstractly and there's no way to visualize what's going on. Can anyone recommend a good book which has visual representations of what's going on in all the various categories of chemical reactions.

Whats really grinding my gears at the moment is the various types of reductions. What in the name of god is a catalytic hydogenation? I've read some explanations of it but they haven't been enough for me to be able to visualize the concept. Without visualizing the concept I don't know what the hell its all about.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
MadmanMurray,
If you want to understand catalysts, maybe you need to wait until Physical Chemistry or maybe Inorganic Chemistry. As for redox, your best learning will come during laboratory exercises and your textbook for Quantitative Chemistry/Quantitative Analysis. A good textbook will at least have good diagrams, well labeled. You will see some of this in General Chemistry, but some of the development is more detailed in the Quantitative course.

I understand the importance of visual aids in understanding complex concepts. Chemistry, in particular, can be difficult to grasp without a visual representation of the reactions. I would recommend looking for resources that specifically cater to visual learners, such as textbooks or online videos that include diagrams, animations, and other visual aids to explain chemical reactions.

One book that I have found helpful in my own studies is "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, Bursten, Murphy, and Woodward. It includes numerous illustrations and diagrams to help explain various chemical reactions, including reductions.

In terms of catalytic hydrogenation, it is a process in which a substance is reduced (gains electrons) through the use of a catalyst and hydrogen gas. The catalyst helps to lower the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it more efficient. I would suggest looking for visual representations of this process, such as animations or diagrams, to better understand the concept.

Additionally, there are many online resources and interactive simulations available that can help with visualizing chemical reactions. Some reputable websites to explore include Khan Academy, ChemCollective, and PhET Interactive Simulations.

I hope these suggestions help in your understanding of chemical reactions and their visual representations. Remember, every individual learns differently, so don't be afraid to experiment with different resources until you find one that works best for you. Keep up the hard work in your studies!

What are some resources for visual learners?

Some resources for visual learners include videos, infographics, diagrams, charts, and images.

Why are visual aids important for learning?

Visual aids can help reinforce information and make it easier to understand, especially for those who are visual learners. They can also add interest and engagement to the learning process.

How can visual aids be used effectively?

Visual aids should be used strategically and purposefully, with clear and concise information presented in an organized and visually appealing manner. They should also be relevant to the topic and support the learning objectives.

Are there any online resources specifically for visual learners?

Yes, there are many online resources specifically designed for visual learners, such as interactive games, virtual tours, and online tutorials. There are also various websites and apps that offer visual aids and tools for creating visual aids.

Can visual aids benefit all types of learners?

While visual aids can be especially helpful for visual learners, they can also benefit other types of learners by providing different ways to process and retain information. Additionally, incorporating various types of visual aids (e.g. videos, images, diagrams) can cater to different learning styles.