Where can I get a free online QM textbook?

In summary, the best QM textbook for someone just starting out would be "Introductory Quantum Mechanics" by Liboff.
blah
I'm wondering if anyone here might know were I could download a free quantum mechanics textbook. So far I havn't had much luck looking for one has the few ones I found were too hard. Websites I find that discuss QM are ethier too short and don't go into much detail, or their too advanced. I'm looking for something that's introductory but covers a lot. I'm familiar with calculus up to curl and divergance and I'm starting to learn some matrix math. Does anyone know of some QM textbooks on the web?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know any free QM textbooks and i doubt that they're any. The easiest QM textbook i have seen is "Introductory Quantum Mechanics" by Liboff, the math required is only up to the vector and multi-variable calc level. I think it would be suitable for you. I guess the only thing you can do now is to learn more math !

Maybe you should look for some intro to qm course's lecture notes. I know there's a lot of those online at different universities' web pages.

Chronos said:
You can try here, it's the only freebie I know of:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9912205
I hope you have broadband...

That's not a QM textbook, it's a QFT textbook meant for people going into quantum gravity. We tried having a discussion thread about that book here, and it didn't go very far (this with a group of people who have already taken QFT!).

The following are much closer to the level he is looking for:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/physics/pdf/0004/0004072.pdf by Haret Rosu

But this too is aimed at graduate students. I don't know of any online resource on the level of, say, Brehm and Mullin or Eisberg and Resnick.

edit:

You can also try these HTML modules:

Quantum Mechanics I
Quantum Mechanics II

Last edited by a moderator:
blah said:
I'm wondering if anyone here might know were I could download a free quantum mechanics textbook. So far I havn't had much luck looking for one has the few ones I found were too hard. Websites I find that discuss QM are ethier too short and don't go into much detail, or their too advanced. I'm looking for something that's introductory but covers a lot. I'm familiar with calculus up to curl and divergance and I'm starting to learn some matrix math. Does anyone know of some QM textbooks on the web?

Try also Robert B. Griffiths' "Consistent Quantum Theory" at http://quantum.phys.cmu.edu/CQT/

It has more explanations than Rosu's book (interesting, this name is certainly romanian though he-or his ancestors-might be also from the republic of Moldova) and covers in depth the so called 'consistent histories' interpretation of QM (also labeled 'Copenhagen done right' for it seeks to solve the measurement problem of the orthodox CI).

Last edited:
metacristi said:
It has more explanations than Rosu's book (interesting, this name is certainly romanian

Yes, I've been waiting a long time for him to put out his book in English. There is a Romanian copy at the arXiv, too.

1. How can I find a free online textbook for Quantum Mechanics?

There are several ways to find a free online textbook for Quantum Mechanics. You can try searching for it on websites such as OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, or Bookboon. You can also check with your university or college library, as they may have access to free online textbooks through their databases.

2. Are there any reputable websites that offer free online textbooks for Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are many reputable websites that offer free online textbooks for Quantum Mechanics. Some of these include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. These websites are known for providing high-quality educational resources, including textbooks, for free.

3. Can I download a free online textbook for Quantum Mechanics?

It depends on the website and the textbook in question. Some websites may allow you to download the textbook in PDF or e-book format, while others may only offer online access. It is always best to check the terms and conditions of the website before attempting to download the textbook.

4. Are there any textbooks for Quantum Mechanics that are specifically designed for online use?

Yes, there are textbooks that are specifically designed for online use. These textbooks may include interactive features, such as videos, simulations, and quizzes, to enhance the learning experience. Websites like OpenStax and Coursera offer such textbooks for free.

5. Can I access a free online QM textbook without creating an account?

In most cases, yes. Many websites that offer free online textbooks for Quantum Mechanics do not require you to create an account to access the textbook. However, some websites may ask you to create an account for certain features, such as downloading the textbook or tracking your progress through the textbook.