Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I get a free online QM textbook?

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    I'm wondering if anyone here might know were I could download a free quantum mechanics textbook. So far I havn't had much luck looking for one has the few ones I found were too hard. Websites I find that discuss QM are ethier too short and don't go into much detail, or their too advanced. I'm looking for something that's introductory but covers a lot. I'm familiar with calculus up to curl and divergance and I'm starting to learn some matrix math. Does anyone know of some QM textbooks on the web?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    I don't know any free QM textbooks and i doubt that they're any. The easiest QM textbook i have seen is "Introductory Quantum Mechanics" by Liboff, the math required is only up to the vector and multi-variable calc level. I think it would be suitable for you. I guess the only thing you can do now is to learn more math !

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    Maybe you should look for some intro to qm course's lecture notes. I know there's a lot of those online at different universities' web pages.

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

6. Mar 16, 2005 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not a QM textbook, it's a QFT textbook meant for people going into quantum gravity. We tried having a discussion thread about that book here, and it didn't go very far (this with a group of people who have already taken QFT!).

The following are much closer to the level he is looking for:

Elementary Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics by Haret Rosu

But this too is aimed at graduate students. I don't know of any online resource on the level of, say, Brehm and Mullin or Eisberg and Resnick.

edit:

You can also try these HTML modules:

Quantum Mechanics I
    Quantum Mechanics II

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  7. Mar 16, 2005 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  8. Mar 17, 2005 #7
    Try also Robert B. Griffiths' "Consistent Quantum Theory" at http://quantum.phys.cmu.edu/CQT/

It has more explanations than Rosu's book (interesting, this name is certainly romanian though he-or his ancestors-might be also from the republic of Moldova) and covers in depth the so called 'consistent histories' interpretation of QM (also labeled 'Copenhagen done right' for it seeks to solve the measurement problem of the orthodox CI).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  9. Mar 17, 2005 #8
  10. Mar 17, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I've been waiting a long time for him to put out his book in English. There is a Romanian copy at the arXiv, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?