Where Did the Energy for Magnet Attraction Come From?

In summary, the metal has potential energy because it is away from the magnet, and the energy needed to take them apart is what moved the metal towards the magnet. The energy that moved one towards the other came from the magnet. Who lost energy? which kid of energy?, and how did it lost that energy?
Frigorifico
If I put a pice of metal close enough to a magnet it moves towards the magnet and they stick together, I can understand the force that keeps the metal and the magnet together, but where did the energy that moved one towards the other came from?, who lost energy? which kid of energy?, and how did it lost that energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to figure that out by considering other energy transformation that you are probably more used to:

When you hold a ball over your head, and let go, it accelerates down.
Where did the kinetic energy come from?
Who loses energy? What kind?

When you wave your arm - it moves, but it started out still.
Where did that energy come from?
Who loses energy? What kind?

Likes 1 person
Hello Simon, I've been thinking about it and I think I got it, just tell me if I'm right: The piece of metal has potential energy by being away from the magnet, for it takes energy to take them apart, am I right?

That is correct :)

Frigorifico said:
Hello Simon, I've been thinking about it and I think I got it, just tell me if I'm right: The piece of metal has potential energy by being away from the magnet, for it takes energy to take them apart, am I right?

Sometimes it is hard to see the chain of events that produce a situation where two objects have somehow acquired a difference in potential between them. The magnet, in this case, needed to be formed and that would have involved perhaps a massive solenoid being turned on for a short while. The presence of the extra piece of metal would have affected the amount of magnetic energy put into magnetising the solenoid. There's where the PE came from.

First causes are a bit of an issue.
In the common table-top experiment, the direct cause of the potential difference between the two positions would be due to the work needed to bring the magnet and bit-of-metal to their initial configuration.

As sophiecentaur has noted, that could be quite a complicated process in the long run. In the short-run, it was provided by your muscles moving the stuff around. Whatever the process to get to the initial situation on the table-top, the potential difference between that start and end configurations is no more than the work needed to shift them back.

There is a nice demonstration, in fact, where an uneven magnetic field accelerates a metal ball along a track.
If you try to loop the track to return the ball to it's initial position, you find the ball stops moving before it gets there. The energy needed to return to the initial position - no matter how big the loop is - can never be less than the energy gained in the initial acceleration. Lots of people don't notice that the start position needed work to set up...

Donald Simanek has a series of puzzles of the "where does the energy come from" variety, in different guises, in his museum of unworkable devices.

Likes 1 person
sophiecentaur said:
Sometimes it is hard to see the chain of events that produce a situation where two objects have somehow acquired a difference in potential between them. The magnet, in this case, needed to be formed and that would have involved perhaps a massive solenoid being turned on for a short while. The presence of the extra piece of metal would have affected the amount of magnetic energy put into magnetising the solenoid. There's where the PE came from.

The way I see it is that sometimes, when something doesn't make sense, it may be because we are trying to see that phenomenon as something independent, while it isn't and can't be independent, and if you see a wider picture, in this case the proceses needed to set up it all, everything makes sense

Well - sometimes you don't realize that what you are looking at is not a closed system.
The conservation laws only apply for closed systems.

Sometimes it is a misunderstanding of the physical laws themselves though.
Definitely read the Unworkable Devices pages - you'll find the mental discipline useful for thinking about things like this in future even if just by working though the common mistakes. Some of the connections are very hard to see.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. It can also be measured using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass.

4. How do magnets affect acceleration?

Magnets do not directly affect acceleration. However, they can be used to exert a force on a moving object, causing it to accelerate. This is known as magnetic force and can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where q is the charge of the object, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

5. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down or accelerating in the opposite direction to its initial velocity. For example, if a car is travelling east at 50 m/s and then slows down to 30 m/s, it has a negative acceleration of -20 m/s^2.