Where did this formula come from?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, In this conversation, someone is wondering how to get to a particular formula. They state that they seen somewhere how it comes into being, but don't remember where. They propose that research happens in a similar way to how the sum of the first n cubes is (the sum of the first n numbers) squared, and that it is easy to do so. Another person says that there is no point in trying to do so.
twoflower
Hi,

I wonder how could I get to this formula:

[tex]
1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + ... + n^2 = \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}
[/tex]

I'd like to know it, because I suspect I will keep this formula in head and because it is quite useful I'd like to be able to write it from scratch.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
With out working out a fair few calculations analysing the results I don't see any way to work out this formula from scratch (there probably is an easy way without working out examples, maybe I've even seen it, but I don't remeber any :frown:).

But proving it is easier. You need to use induction on n. (Do you know how to use mathematical induction as a form of proof?)

Yes, proving it with induction would be quite easy, but I can't imagine how could I think up such a formula...

twoflower said:
Yes, proving it with induction would be quite easy, but I can't imagine how could I think up such a formula...
I believe I saw an ugly formula once for an arbitrary (integral?) power "p", i.e:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}i^{p}=ugly(n,p)[/tex]
Wrap your head about that one..:wink:

Well, you say you saw somewhere how the formula came into the world? I don't even know where could I try to search it...

Let's use it as a model of how research happens:

we know the sum of the first n numbers, it's also not hard to show the the sum of the first n cubes is acutally (the sum of the first n numbers) squared, ie a degree 4 polynomial.

conjecture:

the sum of the first n r'th powers is a a polynomial in n of degree r+1.

proof:

consider the sum of the first r+2 r'th powers show they sadisfy a general poly of degree r+1 and then prove it inductively for all n.

there is actually a more general way of demonstrating this, though i don't recall it off the top of my head

To get the formula 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1) / 6 begin with the formula

(v+1) ^3 - v^3 = 3v^2 + 3v +1. Write down the values for v = 0, 1 , 2, ..., n and add. We obtain

(n+1)^3 = 3S2 + 3S1 + n + 1, where S1 = 1/2n(n+1).

Substituting the formula for S1, we get

3S2 = (n+1)[(n+1)^2 - 1 - 3/2n] = (n+1)(n^2 + 1/2n)

which means that S2 = 1/6n(n+1)(2n+1)

In general, if you want to get the sum of the first n cubes, fourths, fifths, etc.. by scratch, represent your sum as

(v+1) ^ n+1 - (v+1)^n for the sum of the first n whatever. Then you will have to use previous known sums (I used S1 = 1/2n(n+1)) and its easy from there. Also try proving that the sum of the first n cubes equals (1+2+...+n) ^2. Ask if you need any help
Try this technique for the sum of the first n cubes.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
...it's also not hard to show the the sum of the first n cubes is acutally (the sum of the first n numbers) squared, ie a degree 4 polynomial.

I don't see the point...

You're saying that you can express this

[tex]
1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3
[/tex]

somehow with

[tex]
1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n
[/tex]

?

Try evaluating
[tex]\sum_n (n+1)^3-n^3[/tex]
in two ways.

matt grimes point was that if you think it is a polynomial of degree 3, then just calculating the first 4 values will tell you what polynomial it is. then induction will verify your guess.

courtigrads argument (for all powers) is a footnote on page 27 of the famous book Differential and integral calculus by richard courant.

1. Where did this formula come from?

This formula was developed through scientific research and experimentation. It may have been inspired by previous theories or observations, but it has been tested and refined to accurately represent a specific phenomenon or relationship.

2. How do scientists come up with formulas?

Scientists use the scientific method to develop formulas. This involves making observations, asking questions, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. Through this process, scientists can identify patterns and relationships that can be represented by a formula.

3. Are formulas always accurate?

Formulas are developed based on the best available evidence and data at the time. While they are generally considered accurate, they can always be refined or updated as new information and evidence becomes available. Additionally, some formulas may have limitations and may not apply in all situations.

4. Can formulas be proven?

Formulas cannot be proven in the same way that a mathematical equation can be proven. However, they can be supported by evidence and tested through experimentation. If a formula consistently produces accurate results, it is considered to be valid and reliable.

5. Can formulas be changed?

Formulas can be changed if new evidence or data suggests that they are not completely accurate or if they need to be adapted to fit a new context. Additionally, as technology and scientific understanding advances, formulas may be updated or replaced with more accurate versions.