Where Do You Get Your News? Exploring Diverse Sources for Unbiased Information

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary: I used to read the Seattle Times but I stopped because it's so hard to read the print version and they don't have a app or anything. I get most of my news from online sources. I used to read the New York Times, but I stopped because it's expensive and I can only read it if I get a free copy. I also read the Economist, Time, and the Washington Post online. I sometimes watch the local news, but I mostly just read the news online.
jhae2.718 said:
I like Google's news aggregator.

(Actually, I just believe anything anyone posts in [STRIKE]P&WA[/STRIKE]Current Events...)

I haven't tried that, I'll give it a try.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
I haven't tried that, I'll give it a try.

Hopefully the former and not the latter! :biggrin:

scientific american
science daily
new scientist
nature
phys.org

I use the CBC, take advantage of the ten free articles per month on the New York Times' website, and check SciAm every now and then. That's really all I need.

lisab said:
I won't let this thread become a Syria thread (we have some going already in Current Events), but I've never seen a slant towards terrorism in Al-Jazeera and I've read them for quite a while now. I equate them with BBC as far as quality of reporting, but of course their point of view is a ME one. I think it's good to know what that view is, even if you don't agree with it.

the brainwashing has worked.

ZeroPivot said:

Can you point to any specific examples where al jazzera has expressed support for al Qaeda?

ZeroPivot said:

Or, possibly, you have some reason to be biased yourself and see bias where none exists.

phinds said:
Or, possibly, you have some reason to be biased yourself and see bias where none exists.
Again: bias exists everywhere. That attitude only makes you more likely to miss it.

While I can't comment on recent evolution of the network, the past anti-US/ anti-semetic bias is pretty widely discussed: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_controversies_and_criticism

But in its way, it is actually ok: one of the reasons someone might choose to talk to a certain media outlet is because they like their bias. That would explain why terrorist manifestos often get submitted to all Jazeera first.

It is much better to seek out different biases then to fool yourself that the mythical bias-free source exists.

Last edited:
There's a spectrum of bias. The minimal bias is to present facts, but you still express bias in the set of facts you choose to present, the order you present them, and the language you use.

But at the other end is dishonest bias, where loosely-associated facts are presented to imply meaning that's not there. Or opinion is passed as fact.

I don't check the news every day. If I hear about something interesting, I check a couple sources, but I also like to look at the comments and discussion on sites like PF/reddit because individuals tend to be more critical, and sometimes provide fact-checking sources.

lisab said:
I think this point is often missed. The very moment a pen meets paper - or a finger meets keyboard - the slant is evident: the writer believed it deserved to be reported. When nothing is written, that too is a slant: the writer found it unimportant.
That's probably the main reason I check Fox News: they report on different stories than the others and I want to see what I might be missing.