Where Does the Crate Strike the Wall?

In summary: The truck stops from an initial speed of 15 m/s, with maximum braking (wheels skidding). The crate finall comes to rest or the velocity relative to the truck with which the crate strikes the wall at the forward edge of the bed.The distance from the crate to the wall at the forward edge of the bed is 3.2 m.The truck is going to the right.The coefficient of static friction between the flat bed of the truck and crate is 0.8, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the truck tires and the road surface is 0.9. If the truck stops from an inital speed of 15 m/s with maximum braking (wheels skidding), determine where
Brand3n

Homework Statement

The coefficients of friction between the flat bed of the truck and crate are (coefficient of static friction) = 0.8 and (coefficient of kinetic friction) = 0.7. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the truck tires and the road surface is 0.9. If the truck stops from an inital speed of 15 m/s with maximum braking (wheels skidding), determine where on the bed the crate finall comes to rest or the velocity relative to the truck with which the crate strikes the wall at the forward edge of the bed.

The distance from the crate to the wall at the forward edge of the bed is 3.2m

Truck is going to the right.

Homework Equations

Friction Force = Coefficient of Friction * Normal Force.
X=Xinitial+v*t
V=Vinitial+a*t
X=Xinitial+Vinitial*t+(1/2)*a*t^2
V^2=Vinitial^2+2*a*(X-Xinitial)

The Attempt at a Solution

M*Atruck=(.9)MG
Atruck=(.9)(9.81)=8.829 m/s^2 going to the left

V=Vinitial+A*T
15=0+(8.829)(T)
T=1.69895 , time it takes for the truck to stop

(coeff. of kinetic friction of the crate)*Normal Force=M*Acrate
(.7)M(9.81)=M*(Acrate)
Acrate=6.867

acceleration of the crate in relation to the truck = 6.827-8.829 = 1.962 m/s^s going to the right

V^2 = Vinitial + 2(A)(X-Xinitial)
V^2 = 0 + 2(1.962)(3.2)
V = 3.54356 m/s

What did I do wrong? I couldn't figure out how to use the coeff. of static friction of the crate and truck bed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woops! Wrong section I guess haha. This stuff is advanced for me -_-

It seems to me that "Acrate=6.867" is the acceleration relative to the truck. Just what you want. Don't subtract the truck's acceleration.

Delphi51 said:
It seems to me that "Acrate=6.867" is the acceleration relative to the truck. Just what you want. Don't subtract the truck's acceleration.

I feel like that's the acceleration of the crate relative to the ground. An answer I found on another site was around 2.46 m/s or something and that would make my number higher rather than lower.

Not 100% sure though, does anyone else have any ideas?

Sorry, I am mistaken. I see that if there is zero friction then Acrate = 0 and that is certainly not relative to the truck. So your a = 1.962 is correct.
But your final velocity calc doesn't make sense.
In the 1.7 s it takes the truck to stop, the crate will move d = ½at² = ½(1.962)*1.7² = 2.835 m. When the truck is stopped, the crate is still moving and has another 0.35 m to go before it hits. Slowing down due to friction now. You have another calc to do.

What is the "Truck Bed Friction Problem"?

The "Truck Bed Friction Problem" refers to the issue of cargo sliding around or shifting during transportation in a truck bed, causing damage to both the cargo and the truck bed itself.

What causes the "Truck Bed Friction Problem"?

The main cause of the "Truck Bed Friction Problem" is the lack of friction between the cargo and the truck bed. This can be due to the smooth surface of the truck bed, the weight and movement of the cargo, and the angle of the truck bed during transportation.

How does the "Truck Bed Friction Problem" affect transportation?

The "Truck Bed Friction Problem" can affect transportation in several ways. It can damage the cargo, causing financial losses for the transporter. It can also damage the truck bed, leading to costly repairs. Additionally, the shifting cargo can be a safety hazard for the driver and other drivers on the road.

Are there any solutions to the "Truck Bed Friction Problem"?

Yes, there are several solutions to the "Truck Bed Friction Problem". These include using non-slip mats or liners in the truck bed, securing the cargo with tie-downs or straps, and adjusting the angle of the truck bed. Some truck manufacturers also offer custom options, such as a rubberized truck bed coating, to increase friction and prevent the problem.

What are the benefits of solving the "Truck Bed Friction Problem"?

Solving the "Truck Bed Friction Problem" can bring several benefits. It can prevent damage to the cargo and the truck bed, reducing financial losses for the transporter. It can also improve safety on the road by preventing shifting cargo. Additionally, it can improve the overall efficiency of transportation by reducing the time and effort needed to secure the cargo properly.