Where does this equation come from?

• Thread starter hermano
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for calculating the volumetric flow rate of air through a channel. The equation is derived from the simplified equation of motion and takes into account factors such as viscosity and pressure gradient. The equation also considers the velocity and density of the air, which are affected by friction with the walls of the channel. The conversation ultimately concludes that the equation can be used to calculate the kinetic energy of the air.
hermano
Hi,

In a textbook I found an equation for the volumetric flow rate of air through a channel (tube). I can't find from where the equation is coming, someone an idea?

The equation which I mean is: Q = - pi*d^4/(128*viscosity)* dp/dx

I know that Q = A*v = pi*d^2/4 *v

Also from the simplified equation of motion 'v' can be calculated as:

dp/dx = viscosity * ddv/ddy (dd = second derivative)

from this equation v = ?? if I fill v in, in Q = pi*d^2/4 *v will this give Q = - pi*d^4/(128*viscosity)* dp/dx ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is being done by the Pressure gradient, to friction with the walls, due to the viscosity. ... your Q is mass density times v dot dA, integrated over the tube's cross-section Area. the velocity goes to zero at the tube surface, and is maximum in its center.

the density comes from massXvolume

and the mass comes from 1/2mv^2=Ek
i hope this helped a little bit

Related to Where does this equation come from?

1. Where did this equation originate from?

The origin of an equation can vary depending on its specific context and application. Some equations have been developed through centuries of mathematical research and experimentation, while others may have been derived from physical laws and principles.

2. How do scientists come up with equations?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical principles, experimental data, and theoretical models to develop equations that accurately describe natural phenomena. They may also use existing equations as a starting point and modify them to fit new observations or discoveries.

3. Are equations discovered or invented?

This is a philosophical question that has been debated by scientists and mathematicians for centuries. Some argue that equations are discovered, as they exist independently in nature and are simply uncovered by human observation and experimentation. Others argue that equations are invented, as they are created by the human mind to describe and understand the natural world.

4. Can equations change over time?

Yes, equations can change over time as new data and discoveries are made. Scientists are constantly refining and updating equations to better fit observations and improve their understanding of natural phenomena. Additionally, as technology advances, new equations may be developed to describe previously unknown or unobserved phenomena.

5. How do equations help scientists in their research?

Equations are an essential tool for scientists in their research. They provide a concise and precise way to describe and understand natural phenomena, allowing scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses. Equations also help scientists communicate their findings and theories to others in the scientific community.