Where is North, given this current?

In summary, both Figures 1 and 2 produce the same magnetic field lines, but the direction of the field lines changes depending on which direction the current is coming from. North is up in Figure 2 because the current is coming from the top.
AAAA

Homework Statement

Copy the diagrams in Figure 7 into your notebook, and draw the direction of the conventional current or the
magnetic field lines. Also indicate the location of the north and south poles where appropriate.

FIGURE 1
24cbf41df9.png

FIGURE 2
314f579940.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conventional flow (+ve →-ve)

Firstly, would I be correct in assuming that both Figure 1 and Figure 2 would produce the same magnetic field lines? Because using the right hand rule (which my book uses), a current going out of the page (left circle, figure 1) would produce field lines going counter-clockwise, and into the page (right circle, figure 1) is clockwise using the right hand rule. So would the two be the exact same?

What I can't seem to figure out is which way is north. I know how to determine north in a solenoid, but I'm not sure how to determine it for just two currents. Is there a north/south? We weren't taught this in class, and it doesn't seem to be in my textbook.Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your figure 1, the circle on the left with the dot in its center represents a current (or field, or vector) coming OUT of the page. The other circle, with the cross, represents something going INTO the page. The imagery harkens back to a vector being represented by an arrow. The tip is a point, the tail is the fletching (feathers in an X shape). So an arrow just coming through a surface in your direction would be seen as just the point of the arrow head. An arrow just disappearing into the surface would present just the fletching of the tail.

So, given the above correction for the directions, what's your evaluation of the magnetic field line directions?

Sorry, my mistake, I typed it wrong, it's fixed now.

The directions would be what I said earlier, no? On the right it's clock wise, the left is counter-clockwise? So the figure 1 is the same as figure 2 then? I'm still not sure about where north would be.

As for the poles... How would you solve it if the diagram represented a cross section through a one turn solenoid?

Likes AAAA
Right, I did it like that at one point, when I tried to solve it:
adc99aea47.jpg

That's how I deduced it before , so that north is up. I just didn't put it up because I had a previous thread here that was taken down in part because I didn't show any effort to solve the problem. So I thought it was incorrect.

AAAA said:
Right, I did it like that at one point, when I tried to solve it:
adc99aea47.jpg

That's how I deduced it before , so that north is up. I just didn't put it up because I had a previous thread here that was taken down in part because I didn't show any effort to solve the problem. So I thought it was incorrect.

Lack of effort is not quite the same thing as being incorrect :)

Your diagram looks okay.

Okay :)
So North is up in this diagram (Figure 2), and because they're the same→ Figure 1 as well?

AAAA said:
Okay :)
So North is up in this diagram (Figure 2), and because they're the same→ Figure 1 as well?
Don't be afraid to make a statement rather than a question :). If the field lines are the same for both cases then you should be able to draw the conclusion with certainty.

That said, yes, they both represent the same scenario, and north is at the top as you've drawn it.

Likes AAAA
Alright. Thanks to you both!
gneill said:
Don't be afraid to make a statement rather than a question
That'll ↑ be going up on my bedroom wall :D

Why is up north, for this question? I know I can explain using that solenoid. But what about the reasoning, at a high level. I know that field lines go from north to south, but why?

AAAA said:
Why is up north, for this question? I know I can explain using that solenoid. But what about the reasoning, at a high level. I know that field lines go from north to south, but why?
Take a look at the field lines for a solenoid and bar magnet. Note the circulation pattern and especially the direction of the field line arrows internal to the magnet versus outside the magnet.

Likes AAAA
AAAA said:
Why is up north, for this question? I know I can explain using that solenoid.

Why is it any different?

Likes AAAA
Okay, thanks. Everything makes sense now

1. How does current affect the direction of North?

The direction of North is not affected by the current itself. However, the angle and strength of the current can impact the navigation and perception of North.

2. How can I determine the direction of North with a current present?

To determine the direction of North with a current present, you can use a compass or other navigational tools. You can also observe the direction that objects or debris in the water are moving and use that as an indicator of the current's direction.

3. Does the Earth's magnetic field affect the direction of North in a current?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field plays a significant role in determining the direction of North. The compass needle aligns with the Earth's magnetic field, which can be impacted by the current's strength and direction.

4. Can the direction of North change with a strong current?

Yes, the direction of North can appear to change with a strong current. This is because the current can push objects or debris in a different direction, which can be perceived as a shift in the direction of North.

5. How can I navigate accurately with a strong current present?

To navigate accurately with a strong current present, it is essential to have a good understanding of the current's strength and direction. You can also use other navigational tools and techniques, such as triangulation, to determine your location and direction accurately.