Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to find or how to make a strobe in the range 20-100Hz

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    Please see this for experiment details: http://ap.smu.ca/demos/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=224&Itemid=205 [Broken]

It is the classic: create a standing wave with a certain number of nodes. I can find a function generate that can output the desired frequency to produce these on a string.

My trouble is when I want to add a strobe effect to match the frequency of the wave to create an illusion that the wave is standing still.

My problem is I can't find a strobe light with the desired frequency control. Most I found have a 10-20Hz output. I am looking for one in the range of 20-100Hz.

Do know how I can get one of these? Or make one?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

really basically....

You could probably base a strobe light driver around a 555 timer chip
    The output of the 555 would drive appropriate transistors that would switch the strobe light on and off
    at a rate you can vary by controlling the 555

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook