Where to find or how to make a strobe in the range 20-100Hz

• Thread starter renegade05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
He is also interested in adding a strobe effect to match the frequency of the wave. However, he is having trouble finding a strobe light with the desired frequency control. He is wondering if there is a way to make one using a 555 timer chip.
renegade05
Please see this for experiment details: http://ap.smu.ca/demos/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=224&Itemid=205

It is the classic: create a standing wave with a certain number of nodes. I can find a function generate that can output the desired frequency to produce these on a string.

My trouble is when I want to add a strobe effect to match the frequency of the wave to create an illusion that the wave is standing still.

My problem is I can't find a strobe light with the desired frequency control. Most I found have a 10-20Hz output. I am looking for one in the range of 20-100Hz.

Do know how I can get one of these? Or make one?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there

really basically...

You could probably base a strobe light driver around a 555 timer chip
The output of the 555 would drive appropriate transistors that would switch the strobe light on and off
at a rate you can vary by controlling the 555 Dave

1. What is a strobe and why is it used in the range 20-100Hz?

A strobe is a device that emits a series of high-intensity flashes of light in rapid succession. It is used in the range of 20-100Hz because this frequency range is perceived by the human eye as a continuous stream of light, providing the illusion of slow-motion or stop-motion effects on moving objects.

2. Where can I purchase a strobe in the range 20-100Hz?

You can purchase a strobe in the range of 20-100Hz from specialized lighting stores or online retailers. Make sure to check the specifications of the strobe to ensure it falls within the desired frequency range.

3. Can I make my own strobe in the range 20-100Hz?

Yes, it is possible to make your own strobe in the range of 20-100Hz using simple electronic components such as a capacitor, resistor, and a flash tube. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of electronics before attempting to build a strobe.

4. What are the safety precautions when using a strobe in the range 20-100Hz?

When using a strobe in the range of 20-100Hz, it is important to follow safety precautions such as wearing protective eyewear and ensuring the strobe is properly grounded. It is also important to avoid directly looking at the strobe light, as it can cause temporary blindness.

5. Are there any alternative ways to create the strobe effect in the range 20-100Hz?

Yes, there are alternative ways to create the strobe effect in the range of 20-100Hz, such as using video editing software or specialized apps on smartphones. However, these methods may not provide the same level of control and precision as using a physical strobe device.