Where Can I Begin Learning About Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, a good place to start for someone with a good understanding of classical mechanics is to take an introductory college-level course in physics, which would include an introduction to QM. After that, a good place to start studying QM would be with a book on the history and development of modern physics, which would not require advanced math but would include coverage of QM.
imjustcurious
I'm interested in quantum mechanics but I am not sure where to begin. I have a a good understanding of classical mechanics, but I don't know where to start in quantum mechanics. I seem to dive into subjects that are too complicated for me to understand at the moment. Where is a good starting place in quantum mechanics?

(I am a junior in high school so there are no quantum physics classes offered to me now.)

Physics news on Phys.org
imjustcurious said:
I have a a good understanding of classical mechanics,

We could start by asking what you mean by a good understanding of classical mechanics. QM is taught in college after an intermediate course in classical mechanics including Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations and wave motion. Also taught before QM is intermediate Electromagnetic Theory. On top of that prerequisites for these subjects include Vector Calculus, ordinary and partial differential equations, and linear algebra.

If you do not have this background a good way to prepare for QM is to learn why QM was developed i.e., study the experimental observations that required the change in the way we viewed our world. and how the physics community came to grips with these observations.

gleem said:
QM is taught in college after an intermediate course in classical mechanics including Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations and wave motion. Also taught before QM is intermediate Electromagnetic Theory. On top of that prerequisites for these subjects include Vector Calculus, ordinary and partial differential equations, and linear algebra.

This is for a full-on undergraduate course in QM. In the US at least, many or most college/university students get their first exposure to QM in an "Introduction to Modern Physics" course that immediately follows the usual two-semester freshman physics sequence. This post has links to some typical textbooks:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...h-engineering-background.719059/#post-4553122

As far as math is concerned, these books require advance knowledge only of algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus (derivatives and integrals). They try to teach any necessary additional math as needed. It helps if you've been exposed to differential equations, but a full course in them is definitely not a pre-requisite.

Unfortunately, there are only basic physics classes at my school, so I have had to do much of my learning on my own. My knowledge of classical mechanics includes: Newton's Laws, kinematics, rotational dynamics, harmonic motion, and some thermodynamics.

I am taking a college calculus courses my senior year. So far I have had to teach myself basic calculus. I have not gotten into Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations yet. So I guess that might be a good place to pick up with classical mechanics then. Since I won't take calculus till next year, how far should I get in calculus before I study Langragian and Hamiltonian formulations. Furthermore, what are they?

Last edited:
imjustcurious said:
Unfortunately, there are only basic physics classes at my school, so I have had to do much of my learning on my own. My knowledge of classical mechanics includes: Newton's Laws, kinematics, rotational dynamics, harmonic motion, and some thermodynamics.

I am taking a college calculus courses my senior year. So far I have had to teach myself basic calculus. I have not gotten into Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations yet. So I guess that might be a good place to pick up with classical mechanics then. Since I won't take calculus till next year, how far should I get in calculus before I study Langragian and Hamiltonian formulations. Furthermore, what are they?

(I am a junior in high school so there are no quantum physics classes offered to me now.)[/QUOTE]

I admire your drive in wanting to learn QM, but there is a good reason your HS (or indeed, I suspect, no HS on the planet) offers courses in QM. There is simply too much advanced material to learn as a prerequisite for learning just the math associated with QM.

OK, so you have probably got one basic calculus course under your belt by the time you graduate from HS, but you'll also need to study vectors, vector calculus, differential equations, infinite series, and several other things as well. That's about three or four college-level math courses right there.

Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics also pre-supposes that you have taken a course in statics and dynamics.

Today at 9:08 AM#3
jtbell pointed out that there are Introduction to Modern Physics books that do not require advanced math that are typical for a full QM course. These books do cover the history and development of modern physics to basic QM. At this stage I would not worry about Lagrangian etc. formulation of mechanics. However I would recommend you become as comfortable with Electricity and Magnetism as you seem to be with mechanics. Perhaps someone else in this forum can recommend and appropriate E&M book for you. Such books do need some familiarity with vector analysis, and the calculus of several variables but often these disciplines are developed in the book as needed.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other, and helps to understand the fundamental laws of nature at a microscopic level.

2. How do I begin learning quantum mechanics?

The best way to start learning quantum mechanics is to have a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically in linear algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. Once you have a good grasp of these concepts, you can begin studying the principles and theories of quantum mechanics.

3. What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the superposition and entanglement of particles. These principles explain how particles can behave as both waves and particles, how there are inherent uncertainties in measuring certain properties of particles, and how particles can exist in multiple states at the same time.

4. How can I apply quantum mechanics in my research or work?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in various fields, such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum optics. It is also used in materials science, chemistry, and biology to understand the behavior of particles and molecules at a microscopic level. If you are interested in applying quantum mechanics in your research or work, it is important to have a thorough understanding of its principles and theories.

5. What resources are available for learning quantum mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning quantum mechanics, such as textbooks, online courses, and lectures. Some universities also offer undergraduate and graduate courses in quantum mechanics. Additionally, there are various online communities and forums where you can discuss and learn about quantum mechanics from experts and fellow enthusiasts.