Where will the image of the candle be formed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kihr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Image
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
kihr
Messages
98
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A water tank is 4 meters deep. A candle flame is kept 6 metres above the level of the water. Mu for water is 4/3. Where will the image of the candle be formed?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I need a few clues to proceed. If I consider refraction at the water surface the image will be formed above the candle flame. The answer given in the book is 6 metres below the water level.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kihr! :wink:
kihr said:
A water tank is 4 meters deep. A candle flame is kept 6 metres above the level of the water. Mu for water is 4/3. Where will the image of the candle be formed?
…
The answer given in the book is 6 metres below the water level.

I think they must mean reflection, not refraction. :smile:
 


It depends on the position of the observer. An observer above the water sees the mirror image of the candle. An observer looking up would see the candle flame above the real one.

ehild
 


If we consider the surface of water as a mirror the answer is simple. But then what is the significance of giving the depth of the tank and the refractive index of water in this problem? This is what has confused me. Could you throw some light on this please?
 


I can not read the mind of other people. Maybe, there are more questions in your book, concerning the same set-up. Sometimes more data are given in a problem than necessary so as the student should choose which are relevant.

ehild
 


Thanks. I think the whole idea might have been to confuse the student!