1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whether this statement is true or false

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    'x - 1' is a factor of a polynomial in the form (x^n - 1) where 'n' is a positive integer.

my guess:

This statement is always true because (x^n - 1) is a difference of square. When factored even more, (x^n - 1) = (x^n/2 - 1)(x^n/2 + 1). Therefore, (x-1) can be factor of (x^n - 1) and is always true.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2
    (x^n - 1) = (x^(n/2) -1) (x^(n/2) - 1)
    = (x^(n/4) - 1)(x^(n/4) + 1)(x^(n/2) + 1)

and so on, where the power of x is n/(2^k).

Consider the case where n is odd, dividing n by 2^k will never equal 1.

4. Sep 19, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your logic is faulty. Think about what your statement means when n is an odd integer and what is meant by factoring a polynomial.

5. Sep 19, 2005 #4
    oops i think i know now

(x-1)(x^(n-1) + 1) =(x^n - 1), where n is a positive integer greater than or equal to 2

6. Sep 19, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite! I suggest trying long division! If there is no remainder then x-1 is a factor. :)

7. Sep 19, 2005 #6

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To help with the long division, you might want to try it in the special cases where n=2, 3, 4, ... or as many as needed before you see a pattern. Then try to prove this pattern works for a general n.

Or you can avoid long division by using the remainder theorem.

Or you can do both and be even more convinced.

8. Sep 20, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

More simply, when x= 1, xn- 1 becomes 1-1= 0. Therefore, x- 1 is a factor (I just noticed that shmoe referred to the "remainder theorem"- that's what this is).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?