Which B.S. degree is more employable: finance or statistics?

In summary: If you're interested in a career in which salary and prestige are important, then a degree in business is probably more employable.
annoyinggirl
Which B.S degree is more employable : finance or statistics (Business emphasis)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, questions of this sort are ill posed.

Don't forget that you will be in the degree program for 4 years. The situation will change quite a bit by the time you finish. Possibly drastically. Consider what the situation would have been like if you had entered the degree in the fall of 2007. By the time you finished the degree the economy is suddenly thrashed.

On the other side, you should be thinking about what you will enjoy more. What will cause you to want to leap out of bed in the morning and rush to class? What will be sufficiently interesting to you in order to cause you to be eager to do the work required to finish the degree? What holds your attention enough that you miss your stop on the bus because you are reading about it?

Being willing to do the work, being interested in the subject, this will cause you to finish higher in your class. This will get you better letters of recommendation. This will cause you to actually pay attention in class. And somebody who knows his subject is more employable than somebody who is just sort of dragging-through in something that is theoretically "higher prestige." Give me a keener in any even vaguely related subject every time. Let the guy who is just passively moving forward get hired by the other company.

Likes epenguin
Agree with DEvens.

Typical finance BS graduates go on to either lowish paying analyst jobs with little upside potential, or challenging sales jobs with high upsides and high downsides. I would only go that route if you're interested in selling financial instruments. (Many of those sales jobs have titles like "advisor" or "consultant", but your success ultimately depends on your ability to sell)

Locrian said:
Agree with DEvens.

Typical finance BS graduates go on to either lowish paying analyst jobs with little upside potential, or challenging sales jobs with high upsides and high downsides. I would only go that route if you're interested in selling financial instruments. (Many of those sales jobs have titles like "advisor" or "consultant", but your success ultimately depends on your ability to sell)
what about BS statistics graduates?

DEvens said:
Generally speaking, questions of this sort are ill posed.

Don't forget that you will be in the degree program for 4 years. The situation will change quite a bit by the time you finish. Possibly drastically. Consider what the situation would have been like if you had entered the degree in the fall of 2007. By the time you finished the degree the economy is suddenly thrashed.

On the other side, you should be thinking about what you will enjoy more. What will cause you to want to leap out of bed in the morning and rush to class? What will be sufficiently interesting to you in order to cause you to be eager to do the work required to finish the degree? What holds your attention enough that you miss your stop on the bus because you are reading about it?

Being willing to do the work, being interested in the subject, this will cause you to finish higher in your class. This will get you better letters of recommendation. This will cause you to actually pay attention in class. And somebody who knows his subject is more employable than somebody who is just sort of dragging-through in something that is theoretically "higher prestige." Give me a keener in any even vaguely related subject every time. Let the guy who is just passively moving forward get hired by the other company.
thanks for commenting, and i know you mean well, but i never got that "follow your heart and the money will follow" thing. I mean, think about art majors and their fate post graduation.

i don't really have passion for anything. I guess if i had to choose, it would be like industrial engineering, which at this point, i cannot do. My school also doesn't offer it.

Something that would make me leap out of my bed is the thought of gainful employment and great employment prospects

Likes math_denial
annoyinggirl said:
thanks for commenting, and i know you mean well, but i never got that "follow your heart and the money will follow" thing. I mean, think about art majors and their fate post graduation.

i don't really have passion for anything. I guess if i had to choose, it would be like industrial engineering, which at this point, i cannot do. My school also doesn't offer it.

Something that would make me leap out of my bed is the thought of gainful employment and great employment prospects

If the only thing that you care about is gainful employment, then you could just as easily drop out of university and take up a trade (e.g. electrician, X-ray or MRI technician) since these are in very high demand. Or if you're willing to spend more years in school, you could pursue a degree in medicine or pharmacy.

Ultimately, what you would want is a field that you are at least interested in and which has good employment prospects. In which case, you might as well continue with your statistics degree, as I've posted in the other thread.

StatGuy2000 said:
If the only thing that you care about is gainful employment, then you could just as easily drop out of university and take up a trade (e.g. electrician, X-ray or MRI technician) since these are in very high demand. Or if you're willing to spend more years in school, you could pursue a degree in medicine or pharmacy.

Ultimately, what you would want is a field that you are at least interested in and which has good employment prospects. In which case, you might as well continue with your statistics degree, as I've posted in the other thread.
i'm equally interested in both finance and statistics. I am interested in the business side of statistics and the business side of finance. My dream job would be something like management analyst. would finance or statistics B.S be better for jobs like this?

annoyinggirl said:
i'm equally interested in both finance and statistics. I am interested in the business side of statistics and the business side of finance. My dream job would be something like management analyst. would finance or statistics B.S be better for jobs like this?

If your dream job would be something like a management analyst, then it really wouldn't matter that much whether you have a BS in finance or statistics. Positions like these depend far more on the following:

(1) having internship experience,
(2) great communication skills, and
(3) demonstrated quantitative skills.

A BS in statistics will certainly give you (3) and you should be seeking out (1) while you are in school. My personal opinion is that a BS in statistics is more worthwhile than a BS in finance for the simple reason that a BS in statistics will open up more opportunities in positions that require quantitative analyses, as well as qualify you for graduate studies in statistics, should you decide to take that route (I strongly encourage you to pursue at least a MS in statistics or a related field like operations research, which you can pursue with a BS in statistics, since that would offer you the widest possible opportunities available).

1. Which degree has a higher demand in the job market: finance or statistics?

Both finance and statistics degrees have high demand in the job market. It ultimately depends on the specific industry and job role you are interested in pursuing. Finance may be more in demand in industries such as banking and consulting, while statistics may be more in demand in industries such as data analysis and research.

2. Will having a degree in finance or statistics lead to a higher salary?

Both finance and statistics degrees can lead to high-paying careers. Again, it depends on the specific job role and industry. In general, finance careers tend to have higher starting salaries, but statistics careers may have higher long-term earning potential.

3. Which degree is more versatile and applicable to different industries?

Both finance and statistics degrees are versatile and applicable to a variety of industries. Finance can be applied to industries such as banking, insurance, and real estate, while statistics can be applied to industries such as healthcare, marketing, and government. It is important to research and choose a degree based on your interests and career goals rather than just its versatility.

4. Is it beneficial to have a double major in finance and statistics?

Having a double major in finance and statistics can be beneficial as it combines the skills and knowledge from both fields. This can make you a more competitive candidate for certain job roles and industries that require a combination of financial and statistical skills. However, it may also require a longer time and more coursework to complete both majors.

5. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can make a candidate with a finance or statistics degree more employable?

In addition to coursework, having experience with relevant software and programming languages, internships in the field, and strong analytical and problem-solving skills can make a candidate with a finance or statistics degree more employable. It is also important to continually develop and update your skills to stay competitive in the job market.