Comparing Organic Chemistry Books: Morrison & Boyd vs. Solomons & Fryhle

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses two recommended books for studying organic chemistry and the confusion of choosing between them due to their length. The suggestion is made to check reviews on Amazon, which indicate that the former book is a better choice. The individual then orders the first book based on the reviews.
Saitama
Hi!
I am going to start organic chemistry and my instructor said us to refer these two books:-

Organic chemistry by Robert Thornton Morrison, Robert Neilson Boyd
(linky)

Organic Chemistry by T. W. Graham Solomons and Craig Fryhle.
(linky)

Now i am confused which book should i choose? Its impractical to think of completing both the books as they both contain more than 1000 pages. :eek:

So can somebody tell me which of them is better? :)

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm..do somebody have any suggestion? :)

I think that most people here know more about physics and math textbooks.

However, Have you checked out the reviews on amazon?

EDIT: seems like the former is a good book.

Last edited:
Herricane said:
I think that most people here know more about physics and math textbooks.

However, Have you checked out the reviews on amazon?

EDIT: seems like the former is a good book.

Oh yes, i checked the reviews. Most of the reviews were against buying the latter book so i ordered the first book i posted. :smile:

I cannot make a personal recommendation for which book you should choose. However, I can provide some objective information that may help you make a decision.

Firstly, both Morrison & Boyd and Solomons & Fryhle are well-respected and widely used textbooks in the field of organic chemistry. They both cover the fundamental principles and reactions of organic chemistry, and are used in many universities and colleges around the world.

One thing to consider is the writing style and approach of each book. Some students may find one book more engaging or easier to understand than the other. It may be helpful to look at sample chapters or reviews of both books to get a sense of the writing style and approach.

Another factor to consider is the organization and layout of the content. Some students may prefer a more traditional and linear approach to learning, while others may prefer a more visual and interactive approach. Again, looking at sample chapters or reviews can give you an idea of the organization and layout of each book.

It is also important to consider the level of detail and depth of coverage in each book. Some students may prefer a more comprehensive and detailed approach, while others may prefer a more concise and streamlined approach. This may also depend on your level of understanding and familiarity with organic chemistry.

Ultimately, the best way to decide which book is better for you is to consult with your instructor or other students who have used these books, and consider your own learning style and preferences. Whichever book you choose, make sure to use it as a supplement to your lectures and practice problems, as organic chemistry is best learned through active engagement and practice. Good luck in your studies!

1. Which book is better for a beginner in organic chemistry?

Both Morrison & Boyd and Solomons & Fryhle are great options for beginners in organic chemistry. However, Solomons & Fryhle is generally considered to be more beginner-friendly as it presents concepts in a more straightforward and simplified manner.

2. Which book has more comprehensive explanations and examples?

Morrison & Boyd is known for its comprehensive explanations and numerous examples, making it a great resource for those who want to dive deeply into the subject. However, Solomons & Fryhle also provides thorough explanations and examples, making it a strong contender in this aspect as well.

3. Is one book more suitable for self-study?

Both Morrison & Boyd and Solomons & Fryhle can be used for self-study. However, Solomons & Fryhle may be more suitable for self-study as it breaks down concepts into manageable chunks and provides practice problems to reinforce understanding.

4. Are there any major differences in the content of these two books?

Both books cover the fundamental topics of organic chemistry, such as structure and bonding, reactions, and functional groups. However, Morrison & Boyd may have more advanced topics and depth of coverage compared to Solomons & Fryhle.

5. Which book is more commonly used in universities?

Morrison & Boyd is more commonly used in universities as it is considered a classic and has been used for many years. However, Solomons & Fryhle is also widely used and has gained popularity in recent years due to its more modern approach to teaching organic chemistry.