Which quantum mechanics book is better for advanced readers?

In summary, determining which book is more advanced is subjective and can depend on various factors such as publication date, author's expertise, and depth of information covered. To compare books, one can consider the level of complexity and depth of information, read reviews, and consult experts. The most recent book may not always be the most advanced, as older books can have a more in-depth analysis and critical evaluation. Textbooks are often considered more advanced due to their technical and detailed nature, but popular science books can also be advanced depending on the subject matter. Finally, a book can be both beginner-friendly and advanced depending on the target audience and purpose.
Physics news on Phys.org
I think Binney is the more basic book based on reviews I've seen. They say you can begin reading it if you know Vector Calculus.

Sakarai is better for graduate level as you need to know some QM first.

I'd get both books.

1. Which book is considered more advanced?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on the field of study or personal opinions. It is important to consider factors such as the publication date, author's expertise, and the depth of information covered in the book.

2. How do I determine which book is more advanced?

To determine which book is more advanced, you can compare the level of complexity and depth of information covered in each book. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from experts in the field.

3. Is the most recent book always the most advanced?

Not necessarily. While newer books may have the advantage of including the latest research and information, older books may have a more in-depth analysis and critical evaluation of the topic. It is important to consider the content rather than just the publication date.

4. Are textbooks more advanced than popular science books?

Textbooks are often considered more advanced as they are designed for students pursuing a specific field of study and cover the topic in a more detailed and technical manner. However, popular science books can also be advanced depending on the level of information and complexity of the subject matter.

5. Can a book be both beginner-friendly and advanced?

Yes, a book can be both beginner-friendly and advanced. It depends on the target audience and the purpose of the book. Some books may provide a comprehensive overview of a topic for beginners, while also including advanced information for more experienced readers.