Which Calculator Mode for Trigonometry: Radians or Degrees?

In summary, when solving trigonometric equations like sec(x)=3.45 and sec(x)=-5.2 in the interval 0<=x<=2pi, it is important to consider the domain and whether the values are in radians or degrees. It is also helpful to use the inverse functions of the trigonometric functions to find the value of x. When dealing with multiple trigonometric functions, drawing a triangle and using the ratios of sides can also be useful in solving equations. In some cases, there may be more than one possible answer, so it is important to check the solutions.
gillgill
Need help...
secx=3.45 (0<=x<=2pi) (Accurate to 2 decimal places)
secx=-5.2 (0<=x<=2pi) (Accurate to 2 decimal places)

How do you do these questions?...i am getting mixed up by doing it on the calculator...use radian or degrees mode??...cos or cos-1?...and also about csc and cot too...can anybody explain thoroughly how to do them? (Maybe give more examples)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the domain of x (0<=x<=2[tex]\pi[/tex]) suggests to me that x is in radians. Also, consider what sec(x) is in terms of sin(x) and cos(x). Keep in mind that [tex]sec^{-1}(sec(x)) = x[/tex] where [tex]sec^{-1}(x)[/tex] is the inverse function of sec(x). If your calculator doesn't have one of those buttons, try and fiddle around and find sec(x) in terms of cos(x) as well as the inverse of sec(x) in terms of the inverse of cos(x). Same thing with the other 2 trig functions you gave.

Last edited by a moderator:
and also...Solve: tanx=3.2, 0≤x≤2π
how do you know is it tan-1(3.2) or tan(3.2)?

Draw a triangle. Tan = Opp/Adj. So 3.2 = Opp and Adj = 1. You are solving for the angle x on the horizontal at the hypotenuse. The only way to get this angle is to take the arctangent of the ratio of sides, 3.2:1

In short, the easiest way that I can think of to go from tan(x) to x is to get an arctangent. tan(3.2) will tell you the ratio of the sides given an angle of 3.2 (radians or degrees)

tan(x) = 3.2

arctan(tan(x)) = arctan(3.2)

x = arctan(3.2)

secx=3.45 (0<=x<=2pi)...does that mean (radians) cos(3.45) and then take the inverse??

[tex] sec(x) = \frac{1}{cos(x)} [/tex]

[tex] cos(x) = \frac{Adj}{Hyp} [/tex]

From this, draw the triangle with the sides labeled accordingly. If you mess up it iwll probably be here, so be sure to list your steps if you have trouble.

Once you draw your triangle, figure out what cos(x) should be, then take the arccosine to find x.

for secx=-5.2 (0<=x<=2pi) (Accurate to 2 decimal places)...i found out that the answer is 1.76...how do you know if there is one answer or two answers?

Draw the triangle on a coordinate plane, and see if there is more htan one possible answer answer.
For sec(x) -5.2/1, one unit in the -x direction, and 5.2 in the positive y direction, or 1 unit in the positive x direction, and negative 5.2 in the y direction.

This is for thei nterval 0-2pi

Related to Which Calculator Mode for Trigonometry: Radians or Degrees?

What is the difference between radian and degrees mode?

Radian and degrees are two different units of measurement for angles. Degrees measure angles based on a circle divided into 360 equal parts, while radians measure angles based on the radius of a circle.

Which mode should I use for my calculations?

It depends on the type of calculations you are doing. Radians are often used in advanced mathematics and physics, while degrees are more commonly used in everyday measurements and calculations.

How do I switch between radian and degrees mode?

The method for switching between radian and degrees mode depends on the specific calculator or software you are using. Typically, there will be a button or menu option labeled "mode" where you can select the desired unit of measurement.

Can I use both radian and degrees mode in the same calculation?

Yes, you can convert between radians and degrees in your calculations. Just be sure to use the correct conversion formula to ensure accurate results.

Do all scientific calculators have both radian and degrees mode?

Not all scientific calculators have both radian and degrees mode. Some calculators may only have one mode, while others may have the option to switch between the two. It is important to check the specifications of your specific calculator to ensure it has the desired mode for your calculations.