Which Canadian universities have good physics programs?

In summary, If you are looking for a traditional physics program, it would be best to apply to U of T, Waterloo, and McGill. For Ontario, Queen's Eng. Physics would also be a good option. UOIT in Oshawa is gaining a great reputation and has modern facilities, including a dome for simulating atmospheric pressures and compositions on different planets. Other good options include McMaster, UBC, Queen's, McGill, U Alberta, UWO, and the University of Victoria.
brno17
I need to apply to three for Physics. Just Physics!

I have 2
U of Toronto
U of Waterloo
And I need a third, but I am not sure which.

I heard that York has a good physics course and also I've heard good about ryerson.

Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
1st Choices
McMaster, UBC, Queen's, McGill, U Alberta
2nd Choices
UOttawa, Carlton, SFU, U Montreal, Laval

Last edited:
I go to Ryerson and I won't say we have a traditional "physics" program.
We have a medical physics program if that if what you are actually looking for.

If not, don't waste your time applying here for a "real" or, more appropriately, a traditional physics program.

I haven't heard much about yorks physics program either.

AndersonMD said:
1st Choices
McMaster, UBC, Queen's, McGill, U Alberta
2nd Choices
UOttawa, Carlton, SFU, U Montreal, Laval
I'd also add UWO and the University of Victoria to that list.

Top three I'd say are U of T, Waterloo and McGill. I'm assuming your using ouac, so for Ontario maybe Queen's Eng. Physics (pretty much an a physics degree with engineering or computer electives). And uOttawa and Carleton are not really that great in physics (I'm a Carleton engineering student).

U.O.I.T in Oshawa may not have the long history of some other schools, but its gaining an amazing reputation at an exponential rate, plus its a huge school, modern EVERYTHING and the school is all based around the sciences and engineering (along with the token Psych,law, business)

I've heard that UOIT has a massive dome that can simulate atmospheric pressures and compositions on various planets, is this correct?

its not really a MASSIVE dome but they have a big room for that stuff, they just dumped a tonne of money now into what I heard was a wind tunnel and quite a few labs. The place is expanding faster than you could keep track of haha!

Yes, that last time I went there was in 2008.

1. What are the top Canadian universities for physics programs?

The top Canadian universities for physics programs are the University of Toronto, McGill University, the University of British Columbia, the University of Waterloo, and the University of Alberta.

2. What makes these universities stand out for their physics programs?

These universities have a strong reputation for their research and teaching in physics, as well as state-of-the-art facilities and resources for students to conduct experiments and participate in cutting-edge research projects.

3. Are there any specific focus areas within physics at these universities?

Yes, each of these universities have a range of focus areas within physics, including astrophysics, condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. Students can choose to specialize in a particular area or pursue a broad understanding of the field.

4. Do these universities offer opportunities for hands-on learning in physics?

Yes, all of these universities offer opportunities for hands-on learning in physics through laboratory courses, research projects, and co-op/internship programs. Students can gain practical experience and apply their knowledge in real-world settings.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of these physics programs?

Graduates of these physics programs have a range of career options, including research positions in academia or industry, roles in technology and engineering, and opportunities in fields such as data science, finance, and consulting. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from a physics degree are highly valued in many industries.