Which classical mechanics textbook is best for me?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books on classical mechanics and notes by David Tong. The topics of interest include Euler-Lagrange's equations, Lagrange's and Hamilton's approach to mechanics, Noether's theorem, KAM theorem, Bertrand's theorem, and Poisson's brackets. The speaker mentions that they have Arnold's 'Mathematical methods of classical mechanics', Kibble's 'Classical mechanics', and plans to purchase Landau's and Lifschitz's 'Mechanics'. They also ask for any other recommendations, to which the other person suggests Tong's notes. The speaker is impressed with the notes and plans to print them for easier learning.
irycio
Which one would you recommend for me?
Topics I'd like to have covered (most important ones):
-Euler-Lagrange's equations
-Lagrange's and Hamilton's approach to mechanics
-Noether's theorem
-KAM theorem
-Bertrand's theorem
-Poisson's brackets

Plenty of examples and exercises would be great too.

Now I have Arnold's 'Mathematical methods of classical mechanics', Kibble's 'Classical mechanics', I'm going to buy Landau's and Lifschitz's 'Mechanics'.
First one is obviously overcomplicated for an undergraduate, nevertheless nice to read. Kibble seems to concentrate on Newton's approach mostly, although I like the chapters I've read. Landau seems to be nice too, though it seems to be quite short.

Anything else you could recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
irycio said:
Anything else you could recommend?

There are many good books, but I'm very impressed with David Tong's notes. I think they are as good as any of the classics, such as Landau and Lifgarbagez. Note that his notes begin with a list of recommended books.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/dynamics/clas.pdf

Oh, this seems to be nice.
I mean, the program of my lecture is nearly the same (as if it could differ, huh?) and I do actually attend those classes, I just prfere learning from books than from notes. And so, Tong's notes seem to be brilliant, guess I'll just have to have them printed so that I can learn from them in my bed.
Cheers :)

Related to Which classical mechanics textbook is best for me?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of particles and systems under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. What topics are typically covered in a classical mechanics textbook?

A classical mechanics textbook may cover topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, rotational motion, and gravitation. It may also include discussions on oscillations, waves, and special relativity.

3. Is classical mechanics still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, classical mechanics is still relevant in modern physics. While it may have been superseded by quantum mechanics in certain areas, classical mechanics remains the foundation of many scientific fields, including engineering, astronomy, and astrophysics.

4. What are some common applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of objects in space, designing structures and machines, and analyzing the behavior of fluids and gases. It is also used in fields like meteorology, acoustics, and biomechanics.

5. How can I improve my understanding of classical mechanics?

To improve your understanding of classical mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. It may also be helpful to connect the concepts to real-world situations and to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or peer-reviewed articles.