AP Physics B vs. AP Physics C: Which Course is Best for Engineering Majors?

• Courses
  • Thread starter 89ta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, a junior in high school is having trouble deciding between taking AP Physics B or AP Physics C next year. They want to major in engineering (aerospace) in college and are currently in Honors Algebra II. If they take AP Physics C, they would also need to take precalc over the summer. Some people have advised against it, but the student is considering taking precalc at a community college and taking AP Physics C and AP Chem next year. They are leaning towards this option and have received support from their physics teacher.
89ta
Hi everyone, I am a junior in high school and I am having a little trouble deciding which class I should take next year (AP Physics B vs. AP Physics C). I want to major in engineering (aerospace) when I got to college. Right now I am in Honors Algebra II, and to take AP Physics C (which is the class I want to take) I would need to take Precalc over the summer. If I did I would be taking Calc AB next year along with Physics C and AP Chem. If I don't it would be Honors Precalc, Physics B and AP Chem.

I am alright at math, I have gotten A's for all my math classes so far. Advanced Physics this year has been like a joke to me, I have like a 98%. So anyway, I've talked to a few people about this and have gotten mixed answers, some say not to do it, while others say that it would be fine. I do work during the summer (usually 3 days a week), but I live like 2 minutes from a community college where I could take a class. Like I said, I am having trouble deciding what I should do. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would take the precalc course over the summer since you won't likely have any trouble with it if you have done well in algebra. The honors precalc class at your school sounds like it will cover a bit of calculus but it's not hard to start learning about limits and derivatives on your own (if necessary) while you take precalc at CC.

Given what you want to do in college, I think that's the best option. Actually, if you can take a calculus course at CC, go for it. As long as your algebra is strong enough, I don't anticipate you having any problems.

I would definitely suggest taking Phys C. It will be much better preparation for University level courses than Phys B. I would also suggest taking Calc BC instead of AB. The more prepared you are for college, the better.

Thanks for the replies. :D

I was leaning towards taking precalc over the summer and Physics C, so I think that is what I am going to do. The physics teacher said that he would help me with the math if I had any trouble, even after taking precalc (however I don't anticipate having any problems with it). For some reason all of the math teachers I talked to (except the calc teacher) didn't really think that this would be a good idea, the physics teacher thought it would be fine though.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a course?

When choosing a course, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, academic strengths, and the availability of resources and opportunities within the course. You should also think about the relevance of the course to your overall academic or professional trajectory.

2. How can I determine if a course is right for me?

To determine if a course is right for you, you can attend a course information session, speak with an academic advisor or current students, and review the course syllabus and learning outcomes. It can also be helpful to reflect on your own skills and interests and how they align with the course content.

3. Should I take a course that is recommended by my advisor, even if it's not in my field of study?

It depends on your academic goals and interests. If the course aligns with your overall academic trajectory and can provide valuable skills or knowledge, it may be worth considering. However, if the course does not align with your interests or goals, it may be more beneficial to take a course within your field of study.

4. How can I balance my course load and still take the courses I want?

To balance your course load, you can prioritize your courses based on their importance to your academic or career goals. You can also consider spreading out difficult courses over multiple semesters or taking summer courses. Additionally, effective time management and seeking support from academic advisors or tutors can also help you balance your course load.

5. Can I change my course after the semester has started?

It depends on the policies of your institution and the specific course. In some cases, it may be possible to add or drop a course within a certain timeframe, but it is important to consult with your academic advisor and the course instructor before making any changes. Keep in mind that changing a course after the semester has started may affect your academic progress and graduation timeline.