Which Engineering Major Fits My Interests and Future Career Goals?

• Thread starter rsslnhllngswr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the speaker is a senior in high school with an interest in aerospace science, physics, and engineering. They are unsure of what specific type of engineering they want to major in and are also considering astronomy. They are seeking advice on what would be a good choice considering their interests, schooling, job opportunities, and pay. The speaker is advised to take their time in deciding and to explore different classes and job opportunities in their areas of interest before making a decision. It is also mentioned that many college graduates end up working outside of their major and that turning a hobby into a job may not always be the best option.
rsslnhllngswr
I am a senior in high school and i like aerospace science and physics and i don't mind calculus and I am pretty good at it. I only took one year of chem and bio. My grades are As and Bs and i am in the gifted program. i am interested in majoring in engineering because i like that sort of thing. I don't really know what kind or where. I live in Pa. I've narrowed it down to Aerospace engineering, mechanical, petroleum, industrial, nuclear, or engineering physics. i am also interested in majoring in astronomy because i find the universe very interesting. I hear that astronomy is a field that you pretty much need a Phd in or else you ll be stuck working at a planetarium or something stupid like that. what do you think would be a good choice considering my interests, schooling, job opportunities, and pay? thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go somewhere that allows you to hold of declaring your major. Take a bunch of different classes in whatever area you think is the most interesting and declare once you've made your decision.

i kinda want to have my mind made up so i won't waste time

Well then make up your mind. Nobody else can tell you what will be best for you. It sounds like one of the engineering disciplines would be the best fit for you based on the limited information you have provided.

Last edited:
waste time? What's the big rush? Going to school for a job is overrated. Go to school to learn something you enjoy learning and it will eventually turn into a job you like anyways, instead of getting trapped into doing something you don't want to do. Take your time and enjoy life.

First you should be aware that 85% of people that graduate from college - work outside of their major (undergraduate level). I went through the same quandary you are experiencing. I suggest you get your first two years of college out of the way out of the way. At this level it won't matter much whether you go engineering or astronomy - most of the course work in the first two years will be the same. Make sure you take any electives that you can in your areas of interest. Then see if you can get a job or even volunteering in your field of interest for 6 months to a year. Less than that may not be enough - depending. The idea of working in a particular field is often very different from the reality. Just from what you have said - I suspect that astronomy is going to be a better hobby for you than a job and their are certainly more and better jobs in engineering fields than astronomy. Remember the best way to ruin a hobby is to turn it into work.

Related to Which Engineering Major Fits My Interests and Future Career Goals?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, goals, and future career prospects. You should also think about the courses and opportunities offered within the major, as well as the academic requirements and workload.

2. How do I know which major is right for me?

Choosing a major can be a difficult decision, but it is important to choose one that aligns with your interests and strengths. You can also try taking introductory courses in different majors to see which ones you enjoy the most.

3. Can I change my major if I realize it's not the right fit?

Yes, most universities allow students to change their major if they find that their current one is not the right fit. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and academic requirements when changing majors.

4. Will my choice of major affect my future job opportunities?

Yes, your choice of major can have an impact on your future job opportunities. Some majors may be more directly related to certain career paths, while others may provide transferable skills that can be applied to a variety of industries.

5. Are there any resources available to help me choose a major?

Yes, most universities have resources such as career centers, academic advisors, and online tools that can help you explore different majors and make an informed decision. You can also seek advice from current students, alumni, and professionals in your field of interest.