Which grade of Stainless Steel is more soft or ductile in Sheet form?

• Thread starter Pratap
  • Start date
Summary
I want to make a small item in Stainless Steel Sheet of 1.2 mm thick, 18 inch width & 24 inch length, by "Metal Forming & Punching of Holes". Please suggest me, which grade of Stainless Steel Sheet is more soft or ductile? It has to be economical as well. Thank you.
I want to make a small item in Stainless Steel Sheet of 1.2 mm thick, 18 inch width & 24 inch length, by "Metal Forming & Punching of Holes". Please suggest me, which grade of Stainless Steel Sheet is more soft or ductile? It has to be economical as well. Thank you.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Annealed austenitic stainless steel is ductile, and most common grades (and therefore economical) are AISI 304 or 316. 316 is more corrosion resistant than 304.

What is the environment, e.g., swimming pool, ocean/sea, contact with human tissue? If in contact with human tissue, e.g., skin, one may wish to use a low nickel, duplex stainless steel, e.g., LDX 2101, 2202 or 2304.

Some examples - https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=668

Information on duplex stainless steels containing Mo. Mo has a synergistic effect with Cr in promoting corrosion resistance. Note that the International Molybdenum Association has an interest in promoting the use of Mo.

ChemAir

Gold Member
For some composition information on the various alloys, machining and forming information, performance, environment and chemical compatibility applications, etc, I'd go here:
https://www.rolledalloys.com/technical-resources/

The gauge thickness you have (1.2mm/18 ga) may preclude some alloys that just aren't produced due to market, or if the process for making the material is incompatible with sheet manufacture.

Duplex and super duplex alloys are much stronger than 304/316 grades, and are more difficult to bend and machine.

Can you tell us more about the application?