Which is the correct expression for the Differential Equation

In summary, the correct expression for ∫1t(s-1)y'(s) ds is (t-1)y(t)-∫y(s) ds, obtained through integration by parts. This technique involves expressing the original integral in terms of another integral.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Which of the following is a correct expression for

1t(s-1)y'(s) ds

I know the answer is:

a) 1/2(t-1)2y(t)

b) 1/2(t-1)2y'(t)+ (t-1)(y(t)-y(1))

c) (t-1)(y(t)-y(1))

d) (t-1)y(t)-∫y(s) ds

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is d, but I don't understand why. Are they integrating the given equation, and if so, how do you integrate a function without knowing what the function is?

I have attached an image of the original question

Attachments

• math 2214 quiz 4 1.png
    math 2214 quiz 4 1.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
You can do integration by parts - the remaining integral is just an integral over y(s), and you can find that in answer (d). The other part can be evaluated without an integral.

Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

Which of the following is a correct expression for

1t(s-1)y'(s) ds

I know the answer is:

a) 1/2(t-1)2y(t)

b) 1/2(t-1)2y'(t)+ (t-1)(y(t)-y(1))

c) (t-1)(y(t)-y(1))

d) (t-1)y(t)-∫y(s) ds

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is d, but I don't understand why. Are they integrating the given equation, and if so, how do you integrate a function without knowing what the function is?

I have attached an image of the original question

You'll notice they didn't actually integrate it in choice d). The just expressed the original integral in terms of another integral. The technique is called 'integration by parts'. It should be described in your course.

I think I've got it now. It's been a while since I've done integration by parts. Thanks for the input.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including first-order, second-order, and higher-order differential equations. These can also be categorized as ordinary, partial, and nonlinear differential equations.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The process of solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically or numerically using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors.

4. What is the general form of a differential equation?

The general form of a differential equation is written as: F(x, y, y', y'', ... y(n)) = 0, where x is the independent variable, y is the dependent variable, and y(n) represents the n-th derivative of y.

5. How is a differential equation used in real life?

Differential equations have many real-life applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling chemical reactions, and describing the motion of objects in physics. They are also used in engineering for designing and analyzing systems.