Which one is better ? Engineering Majors Dilemma

• Engineering
  • Thread starter insipidgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation revolved around the dilemma of choosing between an environmental engineering major and a civil engineering major. The person is considering different schools and their programs, but is more interested in environmental engineering. They are wondering if they can still work as an environmental engineer with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and if there is a difference in job opportunities between the two degrees. The conversation also discusses the location of engineering firms and the reputation of different schools' engineering programs.
insipidgirl
Which one is better ?? Engineering Majors! Dilemma

okay so I am transferring this fall huge decisions to be made

@ CAL POLY SLO, UCI, UCSD, & USC
applied 4 ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING MAJOR

@ UCLA
applied for CIVIL ENGINEERING MAJOR

I environmental engineering appeals to me allot more than civil...
but...
UCLA is allot more convenient to attend b/c its closer to home, and significant others.

Now my dilemma is when i get out of college can i still do the work that of an environmental engineer or will i need to get a bachelor's in EE ??

and what is the great difference of having a bachelor's in one or the other??

Physics news on Phys.org

The choice of degree would seem to depend on what one wishes to do professionally. Does one wish to work on environmental matters, e.g. land use, potable water/sanitation, pollution abatement, . . . or does one wish to be involved with structures (e.g. bridges, dams, canals, . . .) or transportation (roads, railways, public transportation, . . . ), or perhaps renewable energy or sustainable development?

Yeah I'm definitely more interested in Environmental.
i know SLO would be the best choice engineering in general.

But most likely I'm going to attend UCI or UCLA b/c the are closer to home.

And I've been hearing that UCLA has a better engineering program. Is that true??

Also could I get a BS in civil engineering and Masters in Environmental?

*** thanks allot for your reply

I work for big company where we recruit SLO engineers because the education is incredibly practical. Go either SLO or UCLA. Do CE or Industrial Engineering. Recruiters don't know what an environmental engineering degree is.

thanks for your advice.
If you do not mind me asking where is your firm located?

I'm curious to find out where most of the engineering firms are at.

is there allot in los angeles?

thannks

All the big engineering companies have offices in Los Angeles. You're in a great place. I'm in NoCal.

insipidgirl said:
Yeah I'm definitely more interested in Environmental.
i know SLO would be the best choice engineering in general.

But most likely I'm going to attend UCI or UCLA b/c the are closer to home.

And I've been hearing that UCLA has a better engineering program. Is that true??

Also could I get a BS in civil engineering and Masters in Environmental?

*** thanks allot for your reply

UCLA doesn't seem to offer an Environmental Engineering major, but the department is called "Civil and Environmental Engineering" and there is a specialization in environmental engineering (minor).

UCI also has a department called "Civil and Environmental Engineering," but there is actually a major in environmental engineering. They both seem very similar and both engineering schools actually have the same name!

However, it seems that UCLA and Cal Poly SLO are more highly regarded than UCI. UCSD also has a good engineering school, but their environmental engineering program is in the mechanical engineering department. http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/academic/academic_undergrad/undergrad_majors/EnvironEBS.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Which engineering major has the highest salary potential?

The engineering field is vast and diverse, so it is difficult to pinpoint one major that has the highest salary potential. Generally, majors such as petroleum, computer science, and electrical engineering tend to have higher salaries. However, factors such as location, industry, and experience also play a significant role in salary potential.

2. Is it better to choose a major based on job availability or personal interest?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. If job availability and financial stability are your top concerns, then choosing a major with high demand in the job market may be the best option. However, if personal interest and passion are more important to you, then pursuing a major that aligns with your interests may lead to a more fulfilling career in the long run.

3. Which engineering major is the most challenging?

Each engineering major has its own set of challenges, and it ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and weaknesses. Some may find mechanical engineering more challenging due to its heavy focus on mathematics and physics, while others may struggle with the programming and coding aspects of computer engineering. It is important to choose a major that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to overcome any challenges.

4. Will my choice of engineering major affect my job prospects in the future?

While some majors may have higher demand and job opportunities in certain industries, your choice of engineering major does not necessarily limit your job prospects in the future. Many engineering roles require a combination of skills and can be filled by candidates from various engineering backgrounds. Additionally, gaining experience through internships and extracurricular activities can also increase your job prospects.

5. How do I decide which engineering major is the best fit for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It is important to consider your strengths, interests, and career goals when choosing an engineering major. Researching the different fields, talking to professionals and current students, and trying out different courses can also help you determine which major aligns with your skills and interests.